Amoxi-tabs excessive dose?

Lyranonamous

Songster
9 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Freeville NY (near Ithaca)
My SS chicken is bloated, and was taken to the vet. She was prescribed Amoxi-tabs 400 mg twice a day. The pill itself is huge-and looks more like a dog sized dose. We need to cut it into fourths-
From what I've found online it seems she would get 22 mg a day (she is about 5 lbs). Even a cat would get only 50 mg per pound -so a 5 lb cat=250 once a day-800 a day seems terribly high
Does anyone have any experience/advice with this before I call the vet again?

My SS chicken is bloated, and was taken to the vet. She was prescribed Amoxi-tabs 400 mg twice a day. The pill itself is huge-and looks more like a dog sized dose. We need to cut it into fourths-
From what I've found online it seems she would get 22 mg a day (she is about 5 lbs). Even a cat would get only 50 mg per pound -so a 5 lb cat=250 once a day-800 a day seems terribly high
Does anyone have any experience/advice with this before I call the vet again?
The vet prescribed it, the vet should be the one to give the correct dosage. Just call and express your concerns about weight of the patient. But I don't think any of us, even the vets here, could or should second guess the vet who has examined the patient.

Last edited:
The dose I usually use is 57mg per pound of weight, twice a day (some publications give it 3 times a day). I have on occasion given higher than that with no problems. I would go with what the vet prescribed unless you start seeing some negative impacts from it, then I would call them and discuss that. Birds often get a much higher dose per pound of weight of medications than other animals due to how they metabolize things. They vet may have had a very valid reason for prescribing that dose, they would be the one to ask. Amoxicillin is usually well tolerated.

Most reliable dosages online are 125 to 250 mg twice a day for an average 5 pound chicken. 57 mg per pound is about the maximum I would use. But since you got those from the vet and paid for the visit, I would call them and ask, along with giving the weight.

The vet prescribed it, the vet should be the one to give the correct dosage. Just call and express your concerns about weight of the patient. But I don't think any of us, even the vets here, could or should second guess the vet who has examined the patient.
I'm only asking if the dose sounds reasonable based on others' experience with it, so I can give her the full AM dose (or half that much) while I wait for the vet to call back.........I'm not asking anyone to diagnose or prescribe-just asking if it sounds about correct or not.
And they should have already known the weight. They always weigh a patient before prescribing anything.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance.
Most reliable dosages online are 125 to 250 mg twice a day for an average 5 pound chicken. 57 mg per pound is about the maximum I would use. But since you got those from the vet and paid for the visit, I would call them and ask, along with giving the weight.
And they should have already known the weight. They always weigh a patient before prescribing anything.
Thanks everyone for the guidance. The vet finally did get back to me and the 800 mg a day is correct for the reasons stated by Coach723-birds metabolize faster. It still seems like a lot of meds for a small chicken-(it works out to 160 mg of meds per pound) but we are going with it.

Back
Top Bottom