An abandoned muscovy hatchling

GottaBeIrish

Hatching
Aug 13, 2016
Hey everyone, I was just wanting to give an update on the muscovy duckling that was abandoned in our barn yesterday. The story starts with a mama muscovy laying her eggs on the top of our hay bails that we feed the cows with, and next thing you know she has laid 8 eggs! Which in my opinion seems to be a large hatch. But a few days ago we peeked up there to check on mama and the eggs. They weren't eggs any more :)! Yesterday I went to go check and see how she was doing. She and the chicks were gone, mama had gotten her ducklings down off of the 7 foot pile of hay bails. All but one. Who seemed to have hatched after she had left.
I checked to make sure it hadnt died from being too cold. I qaited an hour to see if the mama had come back and she hadnt. So I took matter's into my own hands and made a little brooding box for the little one.
as you can see in the picture it has a sibling that didn't seem to make it out of the egg, or it was just infertile. But now I am happy to be taking on the responsibility of being a mother. (I'm a guy) haha many more updates to come as we go on this little muscovy adventure

The hen may take it if you offer it to her. I'd try it. I've done it a few times. Either put out near her or put it under her in the night. Want to do it asap though.

Guess its yer baby now. Muscovys are tough and grow fast. 3-4 weeks and they won't need a heat lamp if it stays over 60 at night. You may already know this, just saying.

Your welcome. 8 is quite a small hatch for a Muscovy. Mine typically hatch 15-20 twice a year, each time.

Back
Top Bottom