An article to back up "naysayers" of releasing pen-raised Bobwhites

Quote:
In some states, yep. It's been discussed here almost weekly for the past 3 years seems like. Not here in Ms., though. And as an example of how "wild" these birds end up being, I've caught 2 Northern Bobs here in my yard that were released by a neighbor across the bottom who raises them, and holds "hunts". These "strays" were called up by my penned birds, come strolling up in the yard.....and one of them was actually caught under my carport. I scooped'em up with a net, put'em in one of my pens, and it went right on over and started eatin' out of the feeder like it only knows to to!!

WOA...Florida Wildlife Commission actually reimburses my bobwhites' breeder to raise them & release them as wild populations are dwindling. That was the first time I had heard of such a thing.

Well no wonder they are dwindling, our neighbor used to shoot 2-300 every year. I have only seen one around here , probably an escapee.

We had Bob's here at 7L many years back. The fire ants ended their existence. The ants are vicious & attack the new born allowing no chance for survival. I found this true on my last hatch of chicks. I brood in a metal building I had cleaned & even blew the building out. I put 13 chicks in my brooder went to do a chore came back within 10 minutes to find one biddy covered with fire ants. The biddy did not survive I had to cull her.

I guess releasing pen raised animals for re-establishing wild populations doesn't work.
roll.png
Wolves, Condors, Whooping Cranes, Eastern Turkeys, PA Elk, Whitetail Deer, all just flukes. Habitat improvement for Quail is the number one priority, no doubt. But what is this writer suggesting? I completely tranform my property into quail heaven and then sit back and wait for them to show back up?

Quote:
If its legal to release them where you live & you think they will survive try it. I'd provide them with some shelter IE brush piles, feeders & water if not available. Really depends on the lay of your land. Bob's are gonna be hard to establish JMO. They seem a bit more delicate than other animals that as you mentioned have been released & made the transition.
I helped wood ducks in the wild for 20 years with great success.

if you are willing to trap and dispatch predators after their realesed they stand a much better chance but without a predator control program your kina peeing up a rope ya might get a warm feeling but thats about all that happens most places clean farm that and a lot of other unfriendly habitat practices this is most of the reason there are no wild ones, the tame ones stand even less then a chance then the wild ones, unless stock is certified healthy you run the risk of infecting existing wild stocks with multiple diseases

Back
Top Bottom