An assortment of five week old chickens needing gender and breed identification

Easter Chicks

Chirping
Jul 17, 2015
So, not the best title, but I have 21 birds and I am certain that a couple are boys, a couple I'm pretty sure are girls, but the rest I am not sure. We can't keep roosters. LOTS of photos coming up! There are only a couple that need breed identification, mostly because we don't know which ones are which. I couldn't get good pictures of all of them, though. Let me know if you need clearer pictures of one of them.

First up is Pierre. He is a euskal oiloa and is no doubt a boy.

This is our swedish flower. Hoping a girl because she's quite pretty. Has only the slightest comb that isn't red at all.

We got one blue orpington and a few ameraucanas, one of which turned out quite blue. Originally, we thought this was the blue ameraucana, but it might actually be the blue orpington. This is because ameraucanas seem to get rose combs, while orpingtons get straight combs and this (girl?) has a straight comb.

Could this be the ameraucana? It has a rose comb.

Next up are the lemon cuckoo orpingtons. One we're sure is a hen (or pullet? excuse my misuse of terminology, haha) and one a cockerel. The other two we're unsure of, but are leaning towards cockerel.

Boy?

Definitely boy.

Girl.

I'm hoping girl because it's very pretty and friendly, and has a longer tail than the others. But it also has pretty red wattles but not comb. I'm thinking boy. :/ If a cuckoo coloured bird has clear cuckoo colouring, does that mean boy, or can the girls have it, too? Because our only girl so far does not have it at all.

(one at front)

Next up, a few ameraucanas and olive eggers; can't tell which ones are which, save for a few coloured amaerucanas.

Iffy on this one because he has a pretty red comb, but apparently chickens like this have dark feet and feathers, which this one does.

I love this one! I'm thinking girl.

Thinking girl.

Girl?

And then my little isabel orpington. I ended up with one and really wanted a hen. It feathered in very slowly and has a tiny comb but no wattles. Very, very small. Thinking boy.

So, let me know what you guys think! It seems like all I post on here is in the "what gender" section, but I'm very curious, haha.

Last edited:
So, not the best title, but I have 21 birds and I am certain that a couple are boys, a couple I'm pretty sure are girls, but the rest I am not sure. We can't keep roosters. LOTS of photos coming up! There are only a couple that need breed identification, mostly because we don't know which ones are which. I couldn't get good pictures of all of them, though. Let me know if you need clearer pictures of one of them.

First up is Pierre. He is a euskal oiloa and is no doubt a boy. A BOY

This is our swedish flower. Hoping a girl because she's quite pretty. Has only the slightest comb that isn't red at all. A GIRL

We got one blue orpington and a few ameraucanas, one of which turned out quite blue. Originally, we thought this was the blue ameraucana, but it might actually be the blue orpington. This is because ameraucanas seem to get rose combs, while orpingtons get straight combs and this (girl?) has a straight comb. A GIRL

Could this be the ameraucana? It has a rose comb. YES that is an ameraucana and a GIRL

Next up are the lemon cuckoo orpingtons. One we're sure is a hen (or pullet? excuse my misuse of terminology, haha) and one a cockerel. The other two we're unsure of, but are leaning towards cockerel.

Boy? A BOY

Definitely boy. A BOY

Girl. A GIRL

I'm hoping girl because it's very pretty and friendly, and has a longer tail than the others. But it also has pretty red wattles but not comb. I'm thinking boy. :/ If a cuckoo coloured bird has clear cuckoo colouring, does that mean boy, or can the girls have it, too? Because our only girl so far does not have it at all. COULD BE A BOY BUT LOOKS LIKE A GIRL IN THE BUCKET LOL

(one at front)

Next up, a few ameraucanas and olive eggers; can't tell which ones are which, save for a few coloured amaerucanas. A BOY, A GIRL

A GIRL

Iffy on this one because he has a pretty red comb, but apparently chickens like this have dark feet and feathers, which this one does. A BOY

A GIRL

I love this one! I'm thinking girl. A GIRL
A GIRL

Thinking girl. A GIRL

A GIRL

Girl? A GIRL

LOOKS LIKE A BOY BUT NOT SURE

And then my little isabel orpington. I ended up with one and really wanted a hen. It feathered in very slowly and has a tiny comb but no wattles. Very, very small. Thinking boy.

A GIRL!!!

So, let me know what you guys think! It seems like all I post on here is in the "what gender" section, but I'm very curious, haha.
PINK= Girl
Blue= Boy
Black= Unknown
So as far as I know you have 13 GIRLS
woot.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

And 5 BOYS
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Then 2 unknown
D.gif
D.gif

Hope this helps

BCP

PINK= Girl
Blue= Boy
Black= Unknown
So as far as I know you have 13 GIRLS
woot.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

And 5 BOYS
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Then 2 unknown
D.gif
D.gif

Hope this helps

BCP
Ah, thanks! I hope I have that many hens, hehe. I also have a salmon faverolle who is definitely a hen because of her colouring. I'm pretty sure that the third lemon cuckoo in the bucket is a boy unfortunately; his comb and wattles are very red now...

Update: I'm still curious about some of them. I have fifteen left as we gave away five boys and then one of them, a pullet I'm sure, was eaten by a fox. :( ) They are now eleven weeks old and we still have no idea about the gender of some of them. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of all of them and some of these are pretty bad, so let me know if you need more photos. They're all from a breeder.

First up, we have Zelda/Marigold (can't agree on a name.) I'm pretty sure hen; she's very sweet, sits on me like a cat. Quite independent. She's a lemon cuckoo orpington.

Next is my little isabel orpington. He/she was very underdeveloped and was tiny for the longest time but has now mostly caught up in size. It had to be rescued from shrink wrap and nearly died. It's very timid but friendly. I really wanted an isabel and it's my only one, so I'm hoping hen, but the lack of feathers it had makes me wonder.

My Swedish flower hen. I think she'll be a hen. Named Dawn Trump 'cause of the hair.

My (wheaten?) ameraucana. She's so sweet and I hope she's a girl.

And, then there's Damien. Not the nicest boy on the planet. I've mostly tamed him though, because I hold him so much. He thinks he's top chicken and has massive eyes.

My blue orpington. Tiny head, very friendly (has anxiety issues; freaks OUT whenever we come to see her and whenever we leave. Jumps right up on my lap right away.)

Ameraucana or olive egger. Very friendly, developed fast.

Olive egger or ameraucana. Boy?

Gobbles. Named because as a chick she had a very bent neck and we thought there was something wrong with her. She was also rescued from shrink wrap. She was also bald and getting balder for a while. Then she hurt her leg. She's totally fine now, though.

Olive egger or ameraucana. Boy?

Finally, my blue ameraucana. I initially thought girl, but now that comb is looking pretty red...

Tell me what you guys think! I'm mostly confused about the black ameraucanas and olive eggers (of which we can't distinguish which ones are which.) They all have shiny feathers but the boys seem to be getting longer, drooping tail feathers. Also, when will the saddle and pointed hackle feathers be coming in?

Back
Top Bottom