1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An egg inside an egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kscottjoyce, Sep 26, 2011.

1. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    I blew out the yolk and white from the large egg in the photo. I was surprised to find that there is another egg in there and am not sure how to get that out without breaking the whole egg open. Anyone ever get an egg inside an egg?
    [​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Have heard of it, and have seen postings here on the forum about this.............

I don't think you will be able to extract the inner egg with out cutting the shell of the outter egg. Some fancy egg carvers use dremmel tool, maybe you could slice completely around the outter egg, and keep it mostly intact to rejoin.

You do have a rarety on your hands (in your hands).... :O)

3. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Delaware hen that has laid 4 of these last fall/winter. luckily, she seems to have sorted herself out now.... I'm not sure how you would get the inner egg out without damaging the outer shell. Pictures may be the way to save it for posterity...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had one last month too....from my girls that just started laying...it was quite a shock. I had never heard of this happening before [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    wow thats amazing:thumbsup

6. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

That is SO cool!! Never knew such a thing could happen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by