An egg-sized mass in abdomen (not egg bound)

CardinaltheRedRabbit

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2021
USA, NH
as the title says, I have a chicken that is having a bit of an issue, there's a mass in her abdomen, I thought she was egg bound at first, but after closer inspection, the mass is lumpy and feels like a clump of a few grapes or something of the like (she's also pooing like normal, aside from the occasional watery one). it might be a misshapen egg, but it's on the side of her abdomen, and I'm not sure the egg is supposed to be there, maybe internal laying, or old hardened yolks I guess (which a few places told me that it'll clear itself up, but I'm not sure). she's acting normal apart from slight lethargy, but a couple of days ago she was spitting up a brown liquid, it had no smell, so I don't think it's sour crop, and that went away rather quickly. it seems that giving her cooked egg yolks is giving her energy, but maybe only cuz she probably wasn't actively going back to the coop to eat, so I wanna keep doing that. there is parasite medicine in the mail rn so that may help. any tips on what she might be dealing with?

she's way too fluffy for me to see anything going on inside her, so that is all based on feeling and noticing things out of place. she is an almost 4 year old somewhat larger Barred Rock if that info helps.

a short edit, I didn't notice this, but she is sitting on her abdomen now, sort of like a penguin, but she's walking normal with a slight wobble

Last edited:
I have a chicken that is having a bit of an issue, there's a mass in her abdomen, I thought she was egg bound at first, but after closer inspection, the mass is lumpy and feels like a clump of a few grapes or something of the like (she's also pooing like normal, aside from the occasional watery one). it might be a misshapen egg, but it's on the side of her abdomen, and I'm not sure the egg is supposed to be there, maybe internal laying

she's acting normal apart from slight lethargy, but a couple of days ago she was spitting up a brown liquid, it had no smell, so I don't think it's sour crop
She may be laying internally, have Salpingitis, EYP, cancer or a similar reproductive disorder. There's no cure for any of these.

Focus on offering supportive care and treat symptoms. Spitting up brown liquid, I would treat for Sour Crop. Keep her hydrated, eating her normal feed along with bits of egg.
It's not uncommon for Crop Symptoms to be present when a hen has reproductive problems.

Sometimes hens can feel better for a period of time, but ultimately they succumb to whatever condition that is causing all the symptoms you see now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She may be laying internally, have Salpingitis, EYP, cancer or a similar reproductive disorder. There's no cure for any of these.

Focus on offering supportive care and treat symptoms. Spitting up brown liquid, I would treat for Sour Crop. Keep her hydrated, eating her normal feed along with bits of egg.
It's not uncommon for Crop Symptoms to be present when a hen has reproductive problems.

Sometimes hens can feel better for a period of time, but ultimately they succumb to whatever condition that is causing all the symptoms you see now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
thank you for this information, it really explains a lot~

Back
Top Bottom