An evil fox

Quote:
their are some serious... thorny rose bushess.. I say go for it....!!! go to gardenweb.. then to the rose forums.. and read up.. their are alot who plant some roses.. cant remember quite the name.. I plant roses too.. but I try to shy away from the thorn killers.. but thier are quite a few.. and nothing would want to get tangled in that

I think thats a great idea.. just make sure.. you keep the roses from growing into the pen..
xoxxo

Quote:
Bougainvillea also have very large thorns! They are a climbing plant too. Not sure if its safe for a chicken to eat of not though.

We have a family of foxes around and they killed one of the ducks, so I got the idea to put that electric tape/ string (what ever you call it) aounr the fence/barn. They got zapped a few times and learned there lesson. I still see them on occation, but they stay clear of my coop. And the best thing is, if one desides to get the idea to try it again, It only takes 15 minutes or so to set it up!

We though our pen was predator proof but we are worried because the fox dug under the foundation to one of our barns for its den, I think it goes down more than 1 foot. I think the wire goes down like 2 feet (I will have to ask my dad, he built it) and it is 1in. by 2 in, the wire that is buried is 1in by 1in or smaller. This post has pictures of the two pens, it might help https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472569

We have steel grates under our barns, with openings too small for a fox to enter. We purposely ran the fencing around the back of the barn (not attached to the barn), and left 2' of fencing on the ground. That fencing is covered with large granite rocks. It wasn't cheap, but neither are peafowl, so it all works out.

Out here, the deer will eat bougainvilla and roses - all the way down to the nubs! The only thing they won't eat is our bamboo. Years ago, we cut a deal with the deer. We keep their corn feeder full, and they don't mess with our hundreds of hostas. Don't ask me why, but we're the only people out here who have never lost a hosta to deer foraging.

I really like the electric tape idea.

Quote:
better to bring the wire out about a foot or two , then bury it. most predators will walk to the fence then dig down.

Quote:
better to bring the wire out about a foot or two , then bury it. most predators will walk to the fence then dig down.

I think we buried it like 3 feet down last summer because of our never ending war on the rats, we were trying to figure out where they were getting in so we dug down and improved the wire.

Quote:

I think we buried it like 3 feet down last summer because of our never ending war on the rats, we were trying to figure out where they were getting in so we dug down and improved the wire.

really not how deep, more about how far out ,like 2 feet.

Trouble with going straight down, they just keep digging deeper...if out they stop after hitting the wire.

Quote:
Bougainvillea also have very large thorns! They are a climbing plant too. Not sure if its safe for a chicken to eat of not though.

True, it does, but I didn't mention that one for three reasons: 1) it's not hardy for most of the country, 2) it appears on lists of toxic plants that I've seen many times with respect to parrots, and 3) it can become very big and might cause damage if the pen is not designed for increased weight. Roses, on the other hand (depending on the kind you choose), can be grown in most of the country, is non-toxic, and unless you buy ramblers or climbers, can be contained as shrubs. When I mentally work on how I want my aviaries set up, I was thinking about using roses along the outside perimeter for this reason. If I built one sturdy enough, I imagine a Lady Banks would be gorgeous climbing up and over the top...but I'd plan that into the construction.
big_smile.png

Plus, I'd think you'd want to keep the thorniness down at ground level, anyway...
wink.png

I'd think that any growth that pokes through to the pen interior could be cut away with hedge-trimmers once or twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom