An Introduction to Me

HipMomSarah

Hatching
Feb 28, 2016
So, I am a single working Mom who one day has goals of being a little farmer. I say little because I don't have illusions of grandiose just would like to grow most of what I eat, consume quality, and leave as little trash for the next generation as possible. Trash, btw, comes in many forms. My journey with chickens started when I was homeschooling my children and they were in elementary and junior high. I didn't homeschool high school years -- too tired, too many hours at work,etc. I did an experiment for teaching reproduction and life cycle. We used Chicks. It was entitled - Don't kill the Chicks. I thought as little as they were we would surely accidently kill like half or more. I mean,these things seemed so tiny and so fragile. But out of like a dozen, only two died. One from what appeared a general 'failure to thrive' and one from shear stupidity of animal. This one chick when it was like 3-4 months old continued to be so anti-social that it would sleep with the rest of the chicks under the light. It was mid spring so no frost and it died from being cold and anti-social, i think.
However, that was 5 or 6 years ago, now - I live in the country on 5 acres that I rent (will own soon, I hope) and I have tried for 2 years to raise chickens from chicks. The first year, like all the chicks disappeared from in the barn -- with like no evidence of them being in there...strange. Then last year, they were picked off by a slew of predators, some being predators I didn't even know existed. So, this year my trial will be called - "Don't let the chicks be killed" and I am joining here for advice and assistance because last year, I was really kinda close to my little chicks and was so sad each time one of them was lost and I don't want to keep doing that. I would like for them to be free range but I just don't think that in the country that is going to be possible, as last year we only have one survival hen left. So Sad. I have 4 chicks right now - LaQuiesha, Brandi, Lewis and Clark. The first two are the cutest little Easter Eggers and the second two are Dominique's if I remember right. And I already love them...so I don't want to let them get killed. They are in the den...inside...in a rabbit cage. But they will grow and they will want outside -- with the predators. So I need help.
Also, I have 2 full size horses and a miniature horse, 2 cute mostly grown children, 1 super handsome boyfriend and his adorable littles and I work as a neuro nurse. That sums me up.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I've really enjoyed reading your introduction :D I'm sorry to hear you have had so many losses to predators :hugs My advice would be to build a secure predator proof run and coop for your birds. If you have a secure coop that you can lock up they should be much safer on a night. If they are picking your birds off during the day a secure run would be the way to go for me. Have a pop by the predators section, I'm sure there will be threads that can help you and members that can answer your questions. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!! Hopefully joining this site will help you out with your chickens.

Hi and welcome to BYC! The Learning Centre is a great place to start off as it has loads of info on anything chicken. Joining your state thread (just type your state in the search box) will also put you in contact with other BYC members in your area. Good luck with your third flock!

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on Yorkshire coop's advice. To keep the birds safe from predators, you'll need a secure coop and run. Free ranging always involves some risk of loss...if you aren't comfortable with the idea of losing some, you'll want to keep them in the run during the day and the coop at night.

You can get a lot of ideas for coops/runs here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

And if you have questions on building a coop or run, you can ask here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Good luck to you, thank you for such a nice introduction!

Back
Top Bottom