An odd idea for ventilation for my coop

1700schicken

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 3, 2017
Upstate NY
My wife and I have put off getting chickens because we keep expanding our gardens. But now we've decided it's time. So here's the odd idea I have, and I want to see if it would work by people who are more knowledgeable than me!
I will be putting my coop under neath the run which will be made from a old high tunnel. So the run will be 8x12x20. The run will have a roof on it, so the coop will be entirely under cover. So the roof of the coop will just be plywood. Could I place vents on the roof surface to create extra ventilation? The roof of the coop will only serve to keep the birds in, while the roof of the run will act as the protection from the elements. I know it's not the typical setup, but it seems like it's a lot of surface that I could use for venting.
Please let me know what you think. I can only have 5 birds according to city laws, so I feel the coop and run will have plenty of room
Plus the run will be 2ft off the ground, so the birds will be able to go under the coop adding to the footage in the run. Thanks for your help and ideas,
Greg

I don't know much about coop ventilation, but a potential problem I see is if the roof of the tunnel tears and leaks (they're made of plastic, right?) or you decide to move the coop out of the tunnel.

In general they are covered with plastic. I plan on having hardware cloth up the sides for a good way, and then use new manufactured pvc coated 22 mil billboard material to cover the entire roof. If the money is there, or maybe in the future I would use metal roofing. Either way it should be water proof. Going to try to collect rainwater off of it as well.

I have to keep the coop inside the run as I only have so much space left. It's the only way space wise I can make it work. Gardens take up a lot of room!

Do you have pics of this tunnel? Would give us a better idea of what you're working with. What part of upstate NY? I'm in Columbia co.

Mowin,

Im in Fulton County. No pictures yet. Its just an arc, 8 foot tall in the center, 12 foot wide and 20 feet long. Has 2 foot walls on the side before the arc of the roof begins. I can start building the coop, but cannot drive the poles for the supports for the tunnel until the ground thaws, so I have a little while to wait! The coop will have a peaked roof, that will just be a tad shorter than the overall height of the tunnel or run. Its basically going to look like a tall, long, hoop coop, just using 2 inch piping for supports instead of cattle panel. The billboard material is large enough to keep the entire run dry. Doesnt mean sideways rain and snow wont get in, but it will be dry for the most part. Since the roof of the coop will be near the height of the tarp covering the whole area, there wont be that large of a chance that any rain or snow can get up there. But air can flow through there, thats why I thought about ventilation at that point.
Greg

If you got another tunnel and alternated the chickens year to year for fertilizer and weed control would be pretty nifty. I think your tunnel idea is great, just make sure the plywood roof is angled the shed any potential water. If the sides of the tunnel are hardware cloth the vents in the coop should be placed so the chickens won’t get direct wind, preferably above the roosts.

Ok, so its a greenhouse frame. How large of a coop do you plan on putting inside, and how many chickens? I like walk in coops for ease of cleaning, but remember your coop is going to take up space in your run, unless you make a raised coop. Either way, keep your ventilation up high and above the roost.

I can only have 5 hens. Coop has about 25 sq ft inside so 5 sg ft per bird, and it will be approx. 25 inches off the ground, so they should be able to walk around under it I believe. That buys back some of the run area for them. So, with this plan, do you think I could use the roof of the coop for some ventilation? I'm not talking huge holes, but beside the three windows the coup will have, I have to find ways for more. I can and will have some up higher on the walls above the roosts, just figured respiration and heat would rise up and out with some vents in the roof. I know its not the normal setup, but from what I've read, there is no such thing as normal when it comes to designing a coop to your specific needs. Dont even have birds yet, but I'm loving the process!

I can only have 5 hens. Coop has about 25 sq ft inside so 5 sg ft per bird, and it will be approx. 25 inches off the ground, so they should be able to walk around under it I believe. That buys back some of the run area for them. So, with this plan, do you think I could use the roof of the coop for some ventilation? I'm not talking huge holes, but beside the three windows the coup will have, I have to find ways for more. I can and will have some up higher on the walls above the roosts, just figured respiration and heat would rise up and out with some vents in the roof. I know its not the normal setup, but from what I've read, there is no such thing as normal when it comes to designing a coop to your specific needs. Dont even have birds yet, but I'm loving the process!

Definitely not a normal area for placing vents, but would work. Personally, I'd just keep the eves open and not put holes in the roof. If somehow something tears the plastic on the hoop, you don't have to worry about rain getting in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom