Ana White DIY Green House as a coop!

Those are all things to consider. We always have wind here.. never less than 5-8 mph.. most days we're running 10-12mph. The highest I have seen here was 70mph. It is common in winter to get 50-60mph winds and negative temps. Yesterday and Tuesday we were ranging from 5 degrees to -15 degrees and our wind ranged from sustained 25 mph to 65mph gusts.. the snow storm and blizzard conditions were intense, oh and they were swirling winds. It's also not uncommon in the summer to get quarter sized to golf ball sized hail.. hence why we planned to build such intense coops.. Metal so they are safe from all of that.

Even with the last two days in our current coop it snowed inside it due to the ventilation in the roof and the eaves.. strange for sure!

This is a good reason to have large roof overhangs on all sides with the ventilation well-protected. :)

Maybe ask on your state thread what people who share your weather extremes are finding most successful?

This is a good reason to have large roof overhangs on all sides with the ventilation well-protected. :)

Maybe ask on your state thread what people who share your weather extremes are finding most successful?
Oh I think there is a smattering of different coops there. I have seen some seriously interesting coops out here. 😆 That being said, a good idea to ask. I forget about the state threads.
Thank you!

Oh I think there is a smattering of different coops there. I have seen some seriously interesting coops out here. 😆 That being said, a good idea to ask. I forget about the state threads.
Thank you!

The state threads are really helpful for people in extreme climates. :)

Nothing beats localknowledgee

Back
Top Bottom