Anatomy question: crop and gizzard?

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
Wasn't sure where to post this but since it has to do with digestion, hopefully "feeding and watering" is the right place.

I was under the impression that a chicken stores and grinds up food in its crop. But I was just looking at an anatomy chart and see that the gizzard is the place where the food is ground up. So then what is the crop for, exactly?

(never ever thought I'd be studying chicken anatomy...never say never...
smile.png
)

The crop is just for storing food in. The gizzard does all the real work.
At least, that's what I've heard!

Thanks. This is helpful. I was under the impression that the grit chickens eat was stored in the crop with food and broke it down there. Sounds like I was wrong - this all happens in the gizzard instead?

So here's my next question: why the crop? Why does the food have to be "stored"? Why doesn't it just go straight through to the proventriculus (stomach) and then to the gizzard? I am confused as to the purpose of the crop.

I have NO DIRECT KNOWLEDGE or research to base this on -- but I have a guess that the crop allows them to take advantage of large food supplies that may be available now, but not later -- kind of like the pockets in a hamster's cheek. Chickens have GREAT survival mechanisms.

In other words, get all the food you can today but don't die from overeating, because you can store it internally. And there might not be food available tomorrow.

I hope someone who REALLY knows the answer will post!

farmin'chick :

I have NO DIRECT KNOWLEDGE or research to base this on -- but I have a guess that the crop allows them to take advantage of large food supplies that may be available now, but not later -- kind of like the pockets in a hamster's cheek. Chickens have GREAT survival mechanisms.

In other words, get all the food you can today but don't die from overeating, because you can store it internally. And there might not be food available tomorrow. NOT TOMORROW. TONIGHT. IT IS WHERE THEY STORE THE FEED NEEDED TO SUPPLY THEIR FAST METABOLISM FOR THE OVERNIGHT TIME PERIOD.

I hope someone who REALLY knows the answer will post! THAT WOULD BE ME. AND YOU ARE WELCOME.

Ok,Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but now Im totally confused...If the crop is suppose to be full,since its storing food then how does it get impacted and need surgery to clean it out??? (read how 1 byc'r did that w/her girl) I have a 17mos old G.L wyondotte.After she started laying she had little worm shaped poo and what appeared as a "breast looking" lump in her front.After she layed a egg,the lump would go down in size.She does poo alot and it has always looked that way.Now she has been molting for a long,long time.No egg since ard end of June/1st of July.That "lump is now bigger and it wattles when she walks.Isnt that just a full crop?Will it go away? Should I do anything?? She eats and acts fine.My girls get the laying feed w/grit,available all the time.plenty of fresh h20.In the am they get apples and oats and now Ive been givng them scrambled eggs and/yougurt.....They get safflower seeds for a treat..I took pics on my phone but nobody knows how to upload them.They have a huge play yard as I cant let them free range.Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom