Ancient Beans - are they still good?

Pupsnpullets

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
SoCal desert
I have a stash of pinto and other dried beans which are probably at least 4 years old. Are they still useable or perhaps would they be better off in the compost?

Last edited:
Cook a pot and tell us.

If they aren't tastey -

Cook them all and feed them to the chickens. They will enjoy the protein more than the compost pile will.

Don't give them to the chickens raw.

Soak them, then cook them in a pressure cooker. It is almost impossible to get really old beans to soften up by cooking them in a pot on the stove. Once they get really dry they just don't want to soften up. Pressure cooking them also saves lots of energy as it doesn't take long to cook them. Black turtle beans cooked this way are my family's favorites! We buy beans bulk (25lb bag) as they are really cheap this way. Takes awhile to go through them, but they seem to taste really good even though mine are over a year old now.

Here is a website that gives the cooking methods and times for various beans.

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/pressure1.html

Hi,

I think you should first be sure they aren't "infested" with something--worms, etc. I don't even know if worms or other bugs are attracted to them but I would check them over really good, just in case.

Other than that, I would try cooking them (soak them for a long time first) and see what happens!
smile.png
Genie

Quote:
No bugs. I've stored them in plastic containers. Just one little bug would be all it takes for me to ditch them!! I don't 'do' bugs in my food
sickbyc.gif

I think I'll look up some of the links on this site for a recipe and cook a few of them. I don't have a pressure cooker so I'll be using my cast iron bean pot.

Back
Top Bottom