Ancona broody?

Milkshakeroo

Songster
May 21, 2019
Adelaide Australia
D4AFB399-9330-4574-B4D3-373A9A6E8C7B.jpeg
F4140C03-5650-4B4A-8C25-13CDED951C47.jpeg
We accidentally managed to buy a pure bred Ancona through our local feed store. She is typical of that breed and is a bit flighty, top of the pecking order but still quite gentle. She has been laying for about 6 months now and all of a sudden is sleeping on a couple of eggs in the favourite nesting box. Has anyone had experience with Anconas going broody and will she sit on eggs the full 21 days? I have only ever had bantams go broody before.

She might..no guarantees, any bird can go broody and be successful, or not.

These are the signs I go by:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

She might..no guarantees, any bird can go broody and be successful, or not.

These are the signs I go by:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.
She is still in there today and has collected 3 more eggs from the other girls. I think I will mark those eggs with a marker so she isn’t sitting on 20 eggs by the end of the week.

I would expect her to be a good broody; as a rare heritage bird she should have the right instincts for it. Good luck!
BTW, is it that handsome milkshakeroo in your avatar that fertilized the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom