Ancona chicken; should I get one??

Sunshine_Amy

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
Western Mass
Hi everyone. I'm finalizing my chick order tomorrow, and I just discovered the Ancona breed, which is very tempting because it hits so many of my desired traits spot on (fantastic winter laying, white egg, med. egg size, good forager, good feed to egg conversion, predator awareness and med-dark feathers for camouflage from predators). I have a few pressing questions about them, that I can't find online answers to. Can you help?

The first is about if my situation is enough space for Anconas. I'm a first time chicken owner, and I don't know yet if I'll be able to let my girls roam or if they'll need to stay in the chicken tractor I'm building, so let's assume the latter for now: it's 6x10' and 6'3" tall. In the winter they'll have an additional covered run, but in the summer let's assume they're in the tractor, moved every 1-3 days. I've read they like space, so I'm wondering: will that space be enough for them?

The second question is how they do with the more docile breeds. I'm planning on six birds total, and am probably not going to get the Faverolles, but it's currently in my cart along with Speckled Sussex, Australorp, Ameraucana, Favaucana, and Welsummer. I'd also love to get a Buff Orpington at some point. What do you think, will they get along okay? I've got kids and so wanted to include some cuddly chickens in the mix, and I know they can tend to be bullied by more dominant breeds. Would the Ancona fit into this category?

Finally, I've read they are noisy. Will we be hearing these at dawn? Or any of my other breeds, for that matter? I know Welsummers are chatty...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Tagging some folks that I know have Anconas: @CrazyCochin @DobieLover @BLT79 @SpicyDisaster @Bonwell
I'm honestly not sure on Question #1, I'm not an expert on proper amounts of space :idunnoLol. As for Question #2, if they're raised together, the ancona will probably do just fine with the other breeds. I've had several anconas before and never had an issue. The one I currently have was #1 in the pecking order for awhile but was not overly harsh by any means. And question #3, the ones I've had definitely talk, but it shouldn't be an issue, they don't appear to be any more chatty than the rest of my girls. The only other bird I've had experience with on your list was a black Australorp, based on the ones I used to have, Would highly recommend. Big and beautiful.

I'm honestly not sure on Question #1, I'm not an expert on proper amounts of space :idunnoLol. As for Question #2, if they're raised together, the ancona will probably do just fine with the other breeds. I've had several anconas before and never had an issue. The one I currently have was #1 in the pecking order for awhile but was not overly harsh by any means. And question #3, the ones I've had definitely talk, but it shouldn't be an issue, they don't appear to be any more chatty than the rest of my girls. The only other bird I've had experience with on your list was a black Australorp, based on the ones I used to have, Would highly recommend. Big and beautiful.
Thank you, this is super helpful.

If you want Anconas for looks and eggs, then go for it. But if you want them for pets, I would reconsider. They are very very flighty chicken breeds. Even when we clip their flight feathers, they are still able to scale an almost 6 foot fence.
Thank you for this. This factor had me nervous, being a first time chicken owner. I chickened out—so to speak!—and ended up going with the Faverolles instead of the Ancona. Not white eggs, but cream, hopefully, and a decent winter layer and, while quirky, I think more manageable in its quirkiness. In a couple years I’ll reconsider the Ancona. They have so many things going for them!

Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited:
Thank you for this. This factor had me nervous, being a first time chicken owner. I chickened out—so to speak!—and ended up going with the Faverolles instead or the Ancona. Not white eggs, but cream, hopefully, and a decent winter layer and, while quirky, I think more manageable in its quirkiness. In a couple years I’ll reconsider the Ancona. They have so many things going for them!

Thanks so much for the help!
You are welcome. 🙂 The faverolles are one majestic breed I have to say, a wonderful choice. (I like your thinking, you can always add to your flock further on.)
That factor can, because it’s not fun when one has to find their mischievous chickens asking to be eaten by an aerial predator. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom