Ancona duck laying on eggs

Tfoley

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
My 1 year old Ancona is laying on a clutch of eggs, I am new to this so just wondering how to care for her? Do I leave her be or try to give her food and water in the nesting box, and if she hatches her ducklings what is the next step? Do I leave them with her and dad or remove her and/or babies from the run?

I don't like to provide food and water right by the nest. It's best for the hen to leave the nest daily to eat, drink, and especially to poop. If they don't leave the nest to eat many will defecate in the nest spoiling the eggs. When the eggs are hatching it may be a good idea to separate the drake for a bit. Once the ducklings are mobile reintroduce him and monitor his behavior. In my experience many drakes are great with ducklings, but some can be brutal. Good luck for a successful incubation and hatch.

Thank you!
I don't like to provide food and water right by the nest. It's best for the hen to leave the nest daily to eat, drink, and especially to poop. If they don't leave the nest to eat many will defecate in the nest spoiling the eggs. When the eggs are hatching it may be a good idea to separate the drake for a bit. Once the ducklings are mobile reintroduce him and monitor his behavior. In my experience many drakes are great with ducklings, but some can be brutal. Good luck for a successful incubation and hatch.
I'm not sure if she is leaving the nesting box or not but she hisses at us when we peek in to check on her. Would the ducklings need to be placed in a brooder with a heat lamp?

Thank you!
I'm not sure if she is leaving the nesting box or not but she hisses at us when we peek in to check on her. Would the ducklings need to be placed in a brooder with a heat lamp?
No, mama should keep them under her body to keep them warm. But, I'm absolutely not an expert at this. I've never had a mom hatch out babies, I've only read other members talking about it.

Thank you!
Nope the mother will keep them warm. Just don't allow them access to swimming water until they are several weeks old and then only if temperatures are moderate. Monitor their first several swimming sessions to assure that they don't become hypothermic.

Back
Top Bottom