Ancona duckling with swollen lump on neck?

Yes maybe air! Now what? Is he going to die? Can I do anything? He's still eating and drinking and acting fine.

Thanks Kathy, I poked it with a sterilized needle but air doesn't come out. Just a gooey clear fluid so I don't think it's the ruptured air sac. Does that sound like anything you've encountered?
I have him away from the other ducks while he's got the goo on him. I don't want them to get him dirtier than he has to be

Thanks Kathy, I poked it with a sterilized needle but air doesn't come out. Just a gooey clear fluid so I don't think it's the ruptured air sac. Does that sound like anything you've encountered?
I have him away from the other ducks while he's got the goo on him. I don't want them to get him dirtier than he has to be

That I haven't seen. Any chance you could take him to a vet?

-Kathy

I've called a few and no one wants to deal with a duckling! Sad. The swelling has gone some down since fluid has drained. I tried to rinse the goo off with some lukewarm water and I have him separated from the others until he's not leaking. That's made him more bummed out than anything! I hope he stays ok. Thank you so much for responding, I would never have thought to pierce it without you!

I've called a few and no one wants to deal with a duckling! Sad. The swelling has gone some down since fluid has drained. I tried to rinse the goo off with some lukewarm water and I have him separated from the others until he's not leaking. That's made him more bummed out than anything! I hope he stays ok. Thank you so much for responding, I would never have thought to pierce it without you!
It's possible that the goo is actually pus that hasn't hardened up yet, so probably a good thing that you did puncture it.

-Kathy

I'm having a somewhat similar problem. I filled the bathtub for my two week old ducklings to swim in (this would their fourth time swimming). They were all fine when I first sat them down on the brick, but within minutes, one began drooling and making a awful gargling sound. I picked it up, and it's neck appeared swollen. Without thinking, I massaged the neck (gently) and a bunch of water came out of the baby's mouth, as well as some very water soaked food. It started cheeping again, then the rest started doing it, and I repeated the process. They are all fine and cheeping in the brooder now after I dried them off. The lumps appear to have gone down. Did they engorge themselves with food and drink too much too fast? Will they be okay? What should I watch for? Did I do the right thing or did I react stupidly?

Back
Top Bottom