Ancona duckling with swollen lump on neck?

Twoandhelp

Chirping
Apr 7, 2015

This little guy (or gal?) has a swollen lump on his neck. He's got plenty of access to water and seems to be just as happy as the other little ducklings. He swallows a lot too. Someone please tell me it's an easy fix! I noticed it a few hours ago.

Thanks Mrs H! I read through that and I hope that's not what's going on with mine but I will keep watching them. I have ten appleyards and 4 anconas all together. This little ancona seems to act like the rest of them.

More details in case someone else has idea: not much. The lump and swollen area (the whole neck) is firm but not hard. It's not bone.

And UPDATE: I looked back through pics and it looks like the lump has been there since I got him yesterday (hatched Saturday). It definitely hasn't better but it hasn't gotten worse either I don't *think*

Any ideas?

One more detail. The lump is on ducklings right side. On the left side it's very swollen and it feels like it's just full of water. He eats and drinks a ton but haven't caught him pooping yet. He swallows in a very exaggerated way constantly unless he's asleep

One more detail. The lump is on ducklings right side. On the left side it's very swollen and it feels like it's just full of water. He eats and drinks a ton but haven't caught him pooping yet. He swallows in a very exaggerated way constantly unless he's asleep

Does it feel like water or could it be air? If it's air, it's probably a ruptured air sac.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Yes maybe air! Now what? Is he going to die? Can I do anything? He's still eating and drinking and acting fine.

Thanks Kathy, I poked it with a sterilized needle but air doesn't come out. Just a gooey clear fluid so I don't think it's the ruptured air sac. Does that sound like anything you've encountered?
I have him away from the other ducks while he's got the goo on him. I don't want them to get him dirtier than he has to be

Back
Top Bottom