Ancona duckling with swollen lump on neck?

Thanks Kathy, I poked it with a sterilized needle but air doesn't come out. Just a gooey clear fluid so I don't think it's the ruptured air sac. Does that sound like anything you've encountered?
I have him away from the other ducks while he's got the goo on him. I don't want them to get him dirtier than he has to be

That I haven't seen. Any chance you could take him to a vet?

-Kathy

I've called a few and no one wants to deal with a duckling! Sad. The swelling has gone some down since fluid has drained. I tried to rinse the goo off with some lukewarm water and I have him separated from the others until he's not leaking. That's made him more bummed out than anything! I hope he stays ok. Thank you so much for responding, I would never have thought to pierce it without you!

I've called a few and no one wants to deal with a duckling! Sad. The swelling has gone some down since fluid has drained. I tried to rinse the goo off with some lukewarm water and I have him separated from the others until he's not leaking. That's made him more bummed out than anything! I hope he stays ok. Thank you so much for responding, I would never have thought to pierce it without you!
It's possible that the goo is actually pus that hasn't hardened up yet, so probably a good thing that you did puncture it.

-Kathy

I'm having a somewhat similar problem. I filled the bathtub for my two week old ducklings to swim in (this would their fourth time swimming). They were all fine when I first sat them down on the brick, but within minutes, one began drooling and making a awful gargling sound. I picked it up, and it's neck appeared swollen. Without thinking, I massaged the neck (gently) and a bunch of water came out of the baby's mouth, as well as some very water soaked food. It started cheeping again, then the rest started doing it, and I repeated the process. They are all fine and cheeping in the brooder now after I dried them off. The lumps appear to have gone down. Did they engorge themselves with food and drink too much too fast? Will they be okay? What should I watch for? Did I do the right thing or did I react stupidly?

I'm having a somewhat similar problem. I filled the bathtub for my two week old ducklings to swim in (this would their fourth time swimming). They were all fine when I first sat them down on the brick, but within minutes, one began drooling and making a awful gargling sound. I picked it up, and it's neck appeared swollen. Without thinking, I massaged the neck (gently) and a bunch of water came out of the baby's mouth, as well as some very water soaked food. It started cheeping again, then the rest started doing it, and I repeated the process. They are all fine and cheeping in the brooder now after I dried them off. The lumps appear to have gone down. Did they engorge themselves with food and drink too much too fast? Will they be okay? What should I watch for? Did I do the right thing or did I react stupidly?
Two of my ducklings I just got are doing the same thing. I need to know what to do I don't like seeing my babies suffer 😭

It's possible that the goo is actually pus that hasn't hardened up yet, so probably a good thing that you did puncture it.

-Kathy
maybe not. I had this problem with a day old duckling and took him to the vet. He had scratched himself on the egg and it was poop bacteria, not pus. Vet said duck pus is never runny. Gave him smz/tmp and it cleared up by the time he was 7 days. Also because he was so tiny, some probiotics. Maybe you can get a vet to give you a perscription, it want hurt as long as dosage I right. Should be a pink oral suspension.

I pulled the bottle. Its SMZ/TMP ORAL SUSP 40 8mg/ml. .5ml every 12 hours by mouth. The fluid that came out of his head was a clear pinkish. Like lymph fluid in humans only pinkish. I stuck him with a needle for 4 days, then realized he had to go to the vet because it kept coming back. Warning label I am NOT a vet, just relating my experience with Todd. If you got yours from a hatchery I would call there too.

I'm having a somewhat similar problem. I filled the bathtub for my two week old ducklings to swim in (this would their fourth time swimming). They were all fine when I first sat them down on the brick, but within minutes, one began drooling and making a awful gargling sound. I picked it up, and it's neck appeared swollen. Without thinking, I massaged the neck (gently) and a bunch of water came out of the baby's mouth, as well as some very water soaked food. It started cheeping again, then the rest started doing it, and I repeated the process. They are all fine and cheeping in the brooder now after I dried them off. The lumps appear to have gone down. Did they engorge themselves with food and drink too much too fast? Will they be okay? What should I watch for? Did I do the right thing or did I react sstupid
What are you feeding them? Do they have access to chick grit?

Back
Top Bottom