And how about this, is this ok as bedding?

I don't see why it would not work. It seems to me like it would be similar to using ground corn cobs which I have used in the past and it worked OK. May not be as absorbent as pine shavings such as I use now, but it could still be worked with.

If you can find a local source then kiln-dried pine shavings (think lumber planing) is the best stuff I've ever found for the purpose. But if you can't then I don't see why those beechwood chips would not work.

I think the Beechwood Chips would be ok. I have used the course pine shavings and they worked well. I don't think the Beechwood Chips would be much different.

i wouldn't think they would absorb as good, i wouldn't use them with chicks either, fragile feet still. but after a few weeks old it owuld probably be fine.

I get this dust free pine shavings, super small, and it works GREAT, i get it at the feed store by my house.

just took a photo:

Last edited:
That is what we have just now but how do save it from going into the water? I'm replacing it 4x/day to because they throw it into the water and it soaks it all up haha. They also keep losing the food in it when they tip the bowl over!

the food isn't really an issue as that will keep them busy pecking around at it. I put my waterer on top of a tupperware container to keep bedding from going into it. if you have it sitting RIGHT on the bedding, its gonna be a mess. i'll post a photo of mine

they still get a little init, but its nothing compared to if it was on the floor. I also keep the feed and water on one side of th ebrooder. and empty space on the other, so that if they do bathe in the bedding, at least its usually on the other side. can't help what they shake off while walking around.

and honestly i'd rather give them the softer bedding, where they can dig and peck in it, then a harder bedding.

I notice that it's pretty expensive compared to what I use (recycled paper pellets) $15.00 (US) for 40 pounds.

Last edited:
i don't know how much it weights but i get 2.5 cubic feet compressed, 5 cubic feet opened. and its $6 at the feed store. I could guess it weigh about 30lbs

Back
Top Bottom