1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

...And I Proved You Wrong!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkie-lover33, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 eggs, 3 of which were soaked in water overnight and kept in the frig for a few hours. Who said never wash hatching eggs??? Every last one is growing and scheduled to hatch on 10-4, I'll keep the updates going!!

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow!!! Those are going to be some hardy chickens!

I've heard of folks taking eggs from the refrigerator and hatching them. I'm glad you're having good fortune with yours!

3. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

I've hatched refrigerator eggs before. Keep us posted.

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Washing hatching eggs takes away the protective coating around the egg, making it easier for bacteria to enter the egg. If your incubator is clean, there won't be as much bacteria anyways.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The hatcheries hatch 100's of millions of chicks every year and each and every egg is washed. Wash, don't wash. It's a choice.
    Some studies even seem to indicate that washed eggs hatch at a slightly higher rate. FWIW.

6. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I went to a poultry hatchery for broiler chickens for work one day a few years ago. They washed every egg that came in, from how far I do not know. The held the eggs up to 10 days, in a 60* cooler room. They had 7 million eggs there, and could hold 9 million. They injected each egg with antibiotics before they put it in the incubator. The shot for 80% hatch rate, were getting 85% at the time I was there. They shipped out millions of baby chicks a week. There equipment was sterilized after every hatch.

7. Silkie-lover33

Just candled the eggs, one is peeping and another is about to break it's air sack. The eggs that weren't washed grew faster (there was 2 eggs that weren't washed) and the ones that were grew slower... interesting huh??

8. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    [​IMG] pretty cool! Maybe I can get my Kroger eggs to hatch [​IMG]

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:wow thats amazing.. [​IMG] millions of chicks a week.. wow.. [​IMG]

10. Silkie-lover33

One of the eggs is pipped and another peeping [​IMG] We should have some little chicks by tomorrow, I'll be sure to post pictures! Any ideas for names (besides fluffy or cutie or something like that)? They are a sizzle + silkie, turkin mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by