And so it begins...

Remy_Flock

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Oklahoma
Hello!!

I have the pleasure of being a Duck Mom! Of course, since I have never done this before I will have lots of questions.
I'm not sure if this site is meant for ducks, since its called backyard chickens, but I have seen a lot of things on here that have already been helpful.

I have, what I believe to be, a white female Pekin... I've only had it a couple of weeks and already things have rapidly changed.
This may sound silly but, I got a little duck to aid my "baby fever"... it seems to be helping, and I definitely feel like a mom.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend took this wonderful thing and got it a friend. I love the little thing, but my heart is crushed... as cute as the new (I believe a male Swedish) duck is, it has changed how my Pekin acts. With the difference in age and size my Pekin is "mom" to the Swedish...

My biggest concern is that they are different breeds and different sexes. Will they try to mate? If they do, is that bad?

My biggest goal is to still aid my "baby fever"... I want them to be friends, but would still like them to be somewhat dependent on me, and very social. Is that even a possibility?

I hope there are answers...

Also, my profile pic. Those are my ducks... please tell me if I'm wrong about the breeds.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Hey, Grace1020!
welcome-byc.gif
! Yes, this website is also for ducks, turkeys, quail, etc. Glad you could join! That is a nice duck you have!
thumbsup.gif

G’Day from down under Grace1020
frow.gif
Welcome!

BYC has a Duck Forum and the folks on there should be able to help you out with any questions you have: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your ducks, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

AH, there is a thread "show us your houseducks." They are messier (water + poop) than chickens but, people DO have them. Being in the house they do get socialized and would have bonded with you. Why don't you let your thoughtful (?) husband have the outdoor ducks, and you get one baby to be yours in the house?

AH,  there is a thread  "show us your houseducks."    They are messier (water + poop) than chickens  but, people DO have them.   Being in the house they do get socialized and would have bonded with you.   Why don't you let your thoughtful (?) husband  have the outdoor ducks, and you get one baby to be yours in the house?

I know he meant well, and my ducks adore each other. I considered just having one duck inside, but it does seem to be a messy situation without diapers. We'll see how this goes. My main concern now is that one is a boy... I'm afraid I'll have to rehome him.

Back
Top Bottom