And so it begins!!!!

Congrats on your new chicks.
jumpy.gif
I hope your kids will love them! Make sure they get lots of attention and socialization. (I'm sure that won't be hard with children around. lol)

That will definately not be a problem! I transferred them to a bigger container and have everything set up. They seem to be doing pretty good! As I moved each one into the new box I held each one for a few minutes and gave em a little tocsin. I also inspected their Burt's to see if they were pasty. All were good. Once they were all out of the old box I looked in it for any loose/watery stool. None could be found.
They have been in the new box for a couple hours now. After a few adjustments the temp is right at 95 and they seem content. No loud chirps or huddling for heat. They were spread out sleeping under the light the last time I checked on them. So all seems good for now.

Update.... Based on reading here, I bought a small bag of reptile sand, a reptile poop scoop and a 50lb bag I playsand. I have to wait a couple hours before emptying out the pine shavings to replace with sand. I have to wait for my kids to go to sleep. Remember, they don't know about the chicks yet. They will see them tomorrow morning on Easter.
i did however scatter a few handfuls of sand in there for them to peck at. They went crazy for it!
Mall 6 seem to be doing good! All seem to be eating, drinking and active! 1 pants occasionally but the temp is not hot. It is at a steady 93 in the middle of the pen.

I try to spend time holding them one on one but it is hard to do without attracting the attention of the kids. Once I pick them up they settle right down and seem quite calm. I'm not too worried about socialization after tomorrow morning! I just need to show the kids how to hold and pet them.
i also got my hands on more wood to begin on the coop. All in all a productive day for the furry little buggers!

Back
Top Bottom