...and still nothing!

dragonshiner

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NE Wisconsin
I still haven't gotten any eggs out of my chickens this year. Some of my flock is still too young to lay eggs, but the remainder are old enough and have laid eggs in the past. We let them out to free range in the yard but have thier nesting boxes inside the coop. I've been looking around the whole yard and in dark spaces and cracks that they might shimmy in to but still nothing. Is this normal? Could they just be waiting for warmer days still?

It's not unusual for them to still be "gearing" up for laying. Are any of them squatting when you approach them? I have six girls, all but one are now laying, but that is a new development, this time three weeks ago, only two were laying. It's just not that warm or sunny out yet. Don't worry, you will get eggs!!

Well, they free range, so they get sunlight from dawn to dusk. I'm not sure if where I am is up to 14 hours just yet, but I know we're close.
Some of them are squatting and sometimes when I get in to the coop they do that shreiking thing that's supposed to attract attention away from thier eggs. One of my hens, Angel, followed me in to the garage and when I noticed her setting on top of a shelf I went to pick her up and instead of standing up and jumping off she just sat there and growled at me until I lifted her to the floor.
I've also been checking thier vents and a few are enlarged but it doesn't have the discoloration of having laid any eggs.

Hmm..

Check that top shelf for eggs...she sounds broody. Mine growl and shriek when they are wanting to hatch out some eggs...though I no longer have a rooster.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom