1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

And then there were 12...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessied1227, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    My 13 babies have been out in their permanent housing for four days and nights, with no troubles. We're still in the process of getting thngs moved, so I was back and forth between our old place and our new place today. Funny how we got the chickens into their new house before we are into ours.

I came back to our new place around 6:30 to see a still little body of one of my barred rocks laying dead in our run. She had no injuries, our run is big, but has no opportune opening for predators, and the rest of the chicks were just kind of standing around her all puzzled.

Now I'm all worried. [​IMG] I've been out to the coop three times to check on them, they all just kinda stop and look at me like, What? when I poke my head in.

She wasn't thin, her crop wasn't full, but it wasn't empty either, and she had no injuries. She wasn't anywhere she could have fallen from or gotten tangled.

I guess it just happens sometimes, but any ideas? Maybe I'm a bit too soft hearted, my husband thinks I'm nuts for being so upset over a little chickie, but shoot, I've had them since they were three days old, you know? [​IMG]
    Thanks-
    Jessica

Okay, I just read in another post that cedar is bad, and I had mixed in a bit of cedar shavings in the coop two days ago. Is it possible that my little ones are poisoned from the cedar?

Man. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Jessica,

That must've been heartbreaking. I think it would have been almost a relief to actually FIND something wrong.. something you can fix, kwim?

I am so sorry.

-Meg

3. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Yeah, but now I'm all worried about the rest. It's too dark and rainy to go out and disturb them tonight, but I will be out changing all their bedding at first light.

I've done a ton of reading on chickens and sadly, this is the first I've seen about cedar. How could I have missed it, ya know?

Thanks-
    Jessica

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Oh, how sad, I'm so sorry for your loss! :aww
    I knew about cedar shavings being a problem, but had no idea it would be something that would affect a chick so quickly. I may have missed it, but how old are your babies?

5. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    You said you got your birds moved first- is it possible that fertilizers or pesticides had been used around your new place?

I'm sorry for your loss. I do understand being heartbroken about it. [​IMG]

6. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I hadn't read anything about ceder. I've been using it since I first got mine and they are all fine (just 2 weeks old) Maybe accidental farm is right about the pesticides. Keep us posted on how the others are doing.
    Oh, and where did you read that about the ceder? I guess I need to look at taking our ceder up and getting something else

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Cedar shavings put off toxins that can be harmful to birds and other creatures. You may notice that some of the home improvement stores sell bags of cedar shavings for pest control.

A few people have posted that they mix a little cedar in with their pine shavings because they smell good. This is probably OK, but I wouldn't use only cedar for bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by