And then there were 3....

Teresa La

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 24, 2007
I am so upset right now. We have been trying to incubate our first batch of eggs. I have been having the kids keep a journal on the progress of the development of the eggs. It so far has been a fun experience.
Well, my 2 yo just informed me that he got a baby chicken. I immediately ran in the room they were in and saw that he had dropped one of the eggs on the floor. All of the other kids walked in to see a small, dead baby chick. It was due to hatch on the 10th so it was pretty developed. The older children are distraught, as am I. I feel so bad. If this had happened at the beginning, before we could see anything then it wouldn't have been so bad. Anyways, I just had to vent a little since i'm sure most people would think i'm a little insane to be so upset over an egg.

Teresa

Sorry for your loss and I understand how you feel. When I was in 6th grade our science teacher decided to take 24 eggs and hatch them in our science room. He then said that everyday we would open a egg to study how the chick was growing. It was ok in the very beginning because it just looked like a regular egg. But later as the chick started to develop I was upset & heart broken that he was so uncaring and cruel. I understood it was a project for class but I would have opted out and took a lesser grade if that had been offered. I'm a animal lover and hate to see something like that happen. I still do at 41! again I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your kids will be ok.

Last edited:
Awww, I am so sorry for the loss. How old are your kids!? Maybe you can tell them it was meant to happen that way because GOD wanted that little one in HIS flock. Just make sure you watch the bator...so no one else " sends more of them to GODS flock"

The kids are ok today. I have 6, and they range from 13 down to 14 months. My 4 yo called the 2 yo a chicken killer
ep.gif
but other than that I haven't heard much. The 2 yo didn't care, he thought it was funny.
You know, I have been so good about keeping the door locked where the incubator is but my 13 yo left it unlocked just one time and of course look what happens. It not her fault though, we were in a hurry to leave. We did tell them that the chick went to chicken heaven and they even said a prayer for it.
smile.png

Out of 18 eggs that we got, only 5 of them even had any development at all and one stopped developing early on for whatever reason. Now I just pray that we get at least one baby out of this.

Teresa

We have 6 chicks and 3 kids (ages 4-9).
We decided it was a good thing for the kids to see the "life cycle." And that includes dying. Not that we would ever do it on purpose of course!!!! (Unlike schools... we rescued a chick from a kindergarten class.)
I understand! I am a Mom - It is good to vent!
Accidents teach our kids to be more carefull.
We lost 2 Buff Orpingtons to Coccidosis. Very hard on my oldest - they were hers. Now she has a Silkie and we use medicated chick feed.
Good luck!!!
And I totally understand!

Back
Top Bottom