And then there were two

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EastTexasHen, Apr 5, 2018.

1. EastTexasHen

EastTexasHen Chirping

Mar 20, 2015
    Palestine, Texas
    So today my runty little mottled cochin chick passed away. We’d been fighting pasty butt since I brought it home from Tractor Supply and I hoped it would improve but no such luck. All the other chicks are healthy and thriving and no pasty butt in sight. My problem now is that i know chickens can be particular about chicken breed dynamics.

Currently i have four silkie chicks, the two mottled cochin bantams, and one polish crested chick. I have more polish crested chicks coming in a few weeks from Ideal, and i might pick up a few more silkies once i figure out gender on my current silkie chicks, but my current predicament is my only having two mottled cochins.
    I’m worried they’ll be picked on as they get older.

Should i go ahead and order more mottled cochins now? Am I over thinking it and they’ll actually be ok? I hate that i’ve lost my little chick I don’t want to lose any others.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You are over thinking it........ You lost your chick due to other issues rather than being mottled.
    I keep chickens as pets only and like an assortment of different breeds as well. They all grow together and get along fine. Yes, there are going to be pecking order ordeals. This can not be avoided, even if you only had one breed total.
    Eventually all will live in harmony. The lower pecking order chickens will know to avoid and respect the higher ones. It is like this in the whole animal kingdom as well as with people.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: