Andy and I are moving out to a new house

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blondiebee181, Nov 18, 2012.

1. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    My boyfriend and I are moving out of my parents' house where we were temporarily staying, into a new 1 bedroom rental house. It's adorable and the backyard is quite large compared to a house. Anyway, I am taking my 5 chicken hens and 2 duck hens with me. 4 of the chickens are about 7 months and one is already partial molting. Silver, the 5th hen is over 6 years. The 2 ducks are about 5 months. The landlord is welcoming of them, which is great too. We are signing the lease today, but there are still some renivations taking place including new carpet and appliances and a 6' wooden perimeter fence that he is putting in around at least the back yard.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the yard, the pile of crap is going to be grass this spring and I am going to ask the landlord if I can put in a few raised garden beds on the other side.

What little I have read and experienced about moving chickens from one spot to another is that I should keep them in their chainlink run for a few days to ensure they still go to roost and lay in the boxes. Will the rest of them stress-molt? Silver molted a bit when I brought her home. Anybody have any more advice?

2. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Anyone?[​IMG]

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Never had stress molt but it can happen but rarely full. Usually the stress of a move will cause less egg production and an increase of pecking.

4. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Yeah, I am prepared for a bit of disruption...

5. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Anyone have any advice for moving the birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by