Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
I just looked at the first page and I know that body wrap would not stay on any of my ducks! Lol. They are so smart and skilled at removing anything that allows them to get their bill around it. The paper tape we use only sticks to the wing feathers and it is snug enough that there is no loose gaping bandages.

What we have done is to use paper tape and only wrap tape in a figure 8 pattern around the wing to keep the tip held under. The midpart of the 8 is at the bottom of the wing so it looks like a V shape on the outside of the wing and the inside of the wing. I don't wrap up the entire body so they are still able to use the wing for balance and they can still swim. By the time the tape starts coming loose it is time to remove it anyway.

I have done a couple young birds as their feathers were heavy with blood and the way I tape does not hinder the feather growth. The adult Call drake I taped was too late to correct completely but it did make a significant improvement. The tip stayed under but it was already curved out from the weight of his feathers so they did not rest as close against his body as they should have. We had to look close to see it and with his wings clipped you could not tell at all.

We weregoing to wrap it but couldn't figure out where to flatten and tuck the extended wing.Im wondering if it's just her getting in her feathers? The other duckling is black so her wing feathers are harder to see then on our yellow and white one. A friend of ours is a vet tech so she was going to come over and take a look at her. I wish i could post some pictures but i can't find my camera, oops. She's drinking and eating fine though, but angel wing probably doesnt affect that.

I have a goose that appears to have angel wings on both wings. He is big and about 8 weeks old. Am i too late to wrap and how effective will it be to wrap both wings? Raised with 4 ducks on chick developer, the others are fine. I swithed them over to meat Bird feed a couple weeks ago. They have been penned up but i will start letting them out to eat grass and bugs, maybe that will help with balancing its diet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. My daughter wants to show him at fair.

I have a goose that appears to have angel wings on both wings. He is big and about 8 weeks old. Am i too late to wrap and how effective will it be to wrap both wings? Raised with 4 ducks on chick developer, the others are fine. I swithed them over to meat Bird feed a couple weeks ago. They have been penned up but i will start letting them out to eat grass and bugs, maybe that will help with balancing its diet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. My daughter wants to show him at fair.
I have two 8 weeks old Muscovies with angel wing. My DH and I wrapped them as best as we could last night. Their wraps are still on today ep.gif I didn't expect them to make it through the night, lol. I don't think 8 weeks is too old to wrap. If both wings are affected I would wrap them both and it should help. If not, just wrap the one that is. Good luck to you
fl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two 8 weeks old Muscovies with angel wing. My DH and I wrapped them as best as we could last night. Their wraps are still on today ep.gif I didn't expect them to make it through the night, lol. I don't think 8 weeks is too old to wrap. If both wings are affected I would wrap them both and it should help. If not, just wrap the one that is. Good luck to you fl.gif

I didn't realize you had 2 Muscovy's with angel wing. Usually after around 3-5 days it is fixed I hope you find it that way. It's amazing what they can get out of you must have done a good wrapping. thumbsup.gif @Ren2014

I didn't realize you had 2 Muscovy's with angel wing. Usually after around 3-5 days it is fixed I hope you find it that way. It's amazing what they can get out of you must have done a good wrapping. thumbsup.gif @Ren2014
O yes, both Donald and Carl. Donald's right wing and Carl's left. I must say I am now proud of Donalds, lol. It still looks ok. Carl's isn't quite as well wrapped but I'm thinking it will last another day or so fl.gif

O yes, both Donald and Carl. Donald's right wing and Carl's left. I must say I am now proud of Donalds, lol. It still looks ok. Carl's isn't quite as well wrapped but I'm thinking it will last another day or so fl.gif
Hopefully they will both stay on till time to check. fl.gif

Attachments

• fl.gif
    fl.gif
    785 bytes · Views: 1
Donald's still looks good today. Carl's still looks the same. I'm worried Carl's wing might have slipped. Is the important part of the wing to have taped down the bend in the wing or the tips of the wing that is sticking out?

Back
Top Bottom