Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
I will try to get a shot or two before i wrap the wing but its pretty clear the hitchhikers thumb described it perfectly.
Best go ahead and wrap it then. fl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone! I am new here and totally new to ducks. My husband decided that we should get our 6 year old "Easter Ducks" and I reluctantly said yes... I then found myself with two, two week old ducks. I have, with all my heart, fallen in love with these things, they are my babies. They are about 9 weeks old now and I believe the one has Angel Wing... If this is true, do I have enough time to fix it, does it cause her pain, will it shorten her life??? Is it something I fed her? I gave them chick feed for the first few weeks until I realized that I could give them fresh veggies. They get romaine, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers all chopped up and mixed together. I must admit, I was giving them a lot of tomatoes, they love them and I give them dried meal worms too. I read that excess sugar and protein could cause this. Did I do this to her?
700.jpg
700.jpg
She really is my beautiful baby. Oh and does anyone have any idea what kind of duck she may be? We were told either Blue Swedes or Mallards. The other one is def blue swede but her back is confusing, she is blue and gray on her back feathers but mallard looking on her head and chest.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a gosling wth angle wing once. Used the ace bandage that sticks to itself. This way when you take it off it wont stick to the feathers. I just wrapped the wing its self secure/snug so as not to hurt the little thing, but tight enough to straightne out the growth, I rememebr mine happened just as he was getting pin feathers too.. As I recall more that 2 times around the wing only made it too heavy for the little thing to hold the wing in place. i have read about wrapping it around the body but after 10 to 14 days I took mine off and was fine. He is now a one yr old gander and looks fine. I researhed that too high protien feed is the culprit for angle wing, but dont know for sure. No it wont kill him or shorten his life just looks a bit odd. I have seen geese and ducks in the wild at the local lake with angle wing. So google "Metzar farms" he has really good iinformation there about several goose and duck issues, including angle wing. I have even called them for advice and they were great. take care good luck.

ok so I just looked at your pic of the duck. looks like both wings are affected. I would suggest in this case wrap the entie body and wings together and make sure wherever she is, she cant get into water and not get out. Be patient. If it were me I would wrap both wings againgst the body as long as it doent appear too painful to the bird.

Back
Top Bottom