Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
On post 277 this is what your duck will look like but betcha they cannot wiggle out of this one till wing is healed and laying normal. lol

LL.jpg Just check often to make sure circulation isn't being cut off I don't think it would be though and you most likely won't have to leave it on any longer than a week tops.

Pic taken from here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

Last edited by a moderator:
just a note......if you are still wondering about angel wing. Get a nylon knee high sock and cut the toe out right across. you want it about 12 inches long
Then on one side at the toe end........cut a square hole 2 inches in at the toe so you have sort of a tuxedo. After you cut.....Lay it flat, one side should be about 2 inches longer than the other side ( at the toe)...stretch it out a bit and then if your sock has a double hem at the top...cut it so it is only one layer thick and stretch out the end .....if you leave the thick knee high elastic it is a bit too tight for their shoulders.
that square edge that you cut on one end will be high so it wont rub up against his legs and the back will be longer so it wont curl under his flight feathers and cause undo pain against his shoulder.
Now roll it over his head and allow the cut square to come just above the legs......and the longer back area will flop over this back feathers. let the top of the sock stick up over his shoulder.....he will adjust it to where he wants it...usually allow their bulbous chest to hang out...when he is done moving it............... it will encompass the entire chest section down to his above his knees.....leaving a tuxedo look down the back. I reposition it about every 6 hours..,.,....and after 3 days of this.....my angel wing was gone.
if it isn't fully repaired in 3 days...do it for another day. keep it on all the time. He can breathe nicely because the nylon sock moves with him and does not restrict his breathing.
I gave my mallard finely minced lettuce in a bowl of water......., all he could eat for the morning meal and then gave him the chick starter which is 18% and placed some bunny food pellets which is alfalfa in his feed to bring the protein % down. half and half. If you can get to the feed store they have a combo mixture of 10% with 3 grains..........just call your feed stores.....or go to walmart get a bag of bunny feed pellets for 5$ and cut his feed intake of the 18% in half and substitute bunny feed ground up of just thro the pellets in with the feed,....
if you need any more help
email me
jean in idaho
I am........ milkweeds884 at yahoo if you need help
april 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw alot of solutions on angel wing....but yours is fantastic. I had a mallard with both wings turning outward....I tried it your way and ...it is 98% healed after 3 days......I dont know how you thought of this...but I am telling everyone about it.

jean

ps....can you tell me whats going on at the tooshy end with the knee high sock......did you cut out a square above the edge?......how it is cut at the end of of your knee high?

jean in Idaho

so i checked on pepper today and his wing hang low a little bit it doesn't stick out anymore ... also i felt the things and they were crooked
i got 15% food and now sometime in the next couple days i'll be getting nutritional yeast so the ducks will be in top shape :)!

sorry didn't mean to say twist but I have been wrapping it every night and unwrapping it in mornings before he goes back outside to his friends but it just seems to go back to the wrong way still
You have to keep it wrapped for several days and leave it wrapped. Even if that means he has to stay alone or at least with a buddy. The only reason you'd want to keep him separate is to keep him from going into a pond or pool while wrapped.

Back
Top Bottom