Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
Just noticed today angel wing on one side of my Cotton Patch gosling, and plan to get some elastic bandage tomorrow to wrap it.

Question is we have a large pond in his area, can he swim with it wrapped or should I move him to a different area without the pond?

Just noticed today angel wing on one side of my Cotton Patch gosling, and plan to get some elastic bandage tomorrow to wrap it.

Question is we have a large pond in his area, can he swim with it wrapped or should I move him to a different area without the pond?
No, you should move somewhere else. It might slip off while he is taking a bath.

Cutting a sleeve off of a shirt worked great! Had it on her for about 4 days (took it off for an hour or so a day to swim) and it worked! Highly recommend it!

Attachments

• IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1309.JPG
    IMG_1309.JPG
    749.2 KB · Views: 15
So what is this exactly? I am getting two Pekin ducks and have been trying to learn about ducks all I can-especially health problems (learned the hard way with my chickens. Learn first, experiance AFTER. Pretty hard at ten o clock at night to research canker).

I bet.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/AngelWing.cfm

What I do instead of going from one feed to another is start mine on An all flock feed crumble from the start and around 3-4 weeks add oats[not quick oats or fast cooking] to the feed to cut the protein down. Mine are always on the ground at a very young age to since mama raise them so I think that has a lot to do with getting less protein from feed and more naturally feeding. I have never seen angel wing here.

Last edited:
I bet.

Angel is happens when the wing begins to stick out like a hitchhikers thumb around the time flight feather begin coming in. Some say it's too high protein and others think it could be genetic. But around 3-4 weeks when they go off chick starter to the next feed it's best to make sure

http://www.metzerfarms.com/AngelWing.cfm
Thanks! I'll check out the article at Metzer farms you posted, and that is where I'm ordering my ducks from.

Back
Top Bottom