Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

My Khaki Campbell had angel wings. Like his feathers were too big for him, but he grew into them. It appeared that the stuff around the feathers was just slow to come off. Once the feather casing came off, the problem self corrected with a few weeks time.

This guy (low raspy voice) was always craving protein! The first to eat feathers, the first to eat bugs, the first in the food dish, and the water hog. :) Silly me thought the water dish was for everyone and this guy said nope, it was his private spa..

He's beautiful, happy, and healthy.

Pekin. I have heard so many good things about this breed, especially that they are friendly, which is what i was looking for. I'm getting two to start with.

They really are cool ducks always look like they are smiling. If you ever decide to get a drake though you'll want at least 4 females from all I have read they are high on the testosterone , all drake are high on them but some more so than others.

Good morning! Question regarding my 7 week old duckling. Her wing started to turn out. I lowered protein % (adding rolled oats to chick starter/grow feed) and it has gotten a little better. I'm wondering if I should wrap it or if possibly this is just heavy blood feathers coming in. Advice is much appreciated!
IMG_4231.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4231.JPG
    IMG_4231.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 2
Good morning! Question regarding my 7 week old duckling. Her wing started to turn out. I lowered protein % (adding rolled oats to chick starter/grow feed) and it has gotten a little better. I'm wondering if I should wrap it or if possibly this is just heavy blood feathers coming in. Advice is much appreciated!
View attachment 1105081
Yeah I'd go ahead and wrap it. 2-3 days worth should fix it.

Ok here it goes. This is how we prefer to wrap any waterfowl with early on set Angel Wing (think hitch bickers thumb) to help correct it. There are other methods, but this is what works well for us.

Regular wing
eedaaeb0.jpg

Angel wing (note this duckling had its wing turned out for the photo & does not have AW)
d0268033.jpg

Tucking wing tip
66427561.jpg

Starting the wrap
0471506f.jpg

Around the body
6e8d51e7.jpg

I like to figure 8 around the body and tail leaving the legs free
7485ef2c.jpg
ARGH... all the photos are gone :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Back