Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

More angel wing info:
angel_wing_1.PNG

angel_wing_2.PNG

Source:
http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/36_waterfowl.pdf

My muscovy Amy wrapped with vet wrap.

She tolerated this very well. I did both wings since they were both not in the right position. I did fold over a bit more in front and behind her legs. That is one thing I love about vet wrap, so easy to fold it to make it easier for them to move. She acts like there is nothing there once the initial weirdness wore off. It's not very tight but staying on and most importantly keeping her wings in position so I'm a happy duck mom!

Should I re-wrap in a week or so?
Nice wrapping picture.

When my duck needed to be wrapped it was hard to keep it on him...I actually cut off a sleeve from a t-shirt and put it over his head! Worked like a charm!

Hi, I’ve just read all these threads..so informative..that’s a great idea for holding up the wing..could you include a picture? I have no idea how to include pictures of the wild Muscovy three month old ducklings who have dropped or drooping (not angel wings) they developed about 1-2 weeks ago. My user name is Protect Little Creatures..

Need to continue from the above thread..any suggestions on how to capture these wild ducklings, so I could try wrapping them..I don’t want to harm them by doing so..they are very active and the drakes are pretty large already..I’ve tried using a towel (they were gone in a split second)..I’ve tried using puppy plastic fences that attach together, and stringing an opening between a separation of two sections..food was placed so they would have to form thru the opening and I would then pull the string to force the two open sections to slide together and closing one or more in..well, they were quickly able to push the fence open as there was no automatic lock to secure it closed..
If I’m unable to tape them, will they heal correctly on their own if it is due to being blood feathers being too heavy? And if so how long will it take..most of the females are flying.

@Protect little creatures, welcome to BYC! I use a net to catch mine. When you catch them, can you post some pictures of their wings?
I have pictures now of them in the yard but I do not know how to attach the pictures to this post. When you say net, how do you go about getting the netting on them? I have a fishing net on the pole ring but when they see me carrying it, they run like crazy.. we just purchased a loose netting from joann fabrics, which is 5’x14’ with large (2”-3”) mesh
Openings..it’s made out of beige twine very limp and light weight.

Back
Top Bottom