Angel wing in young drake!?

farmerdollie

Chirping
8 Years
May 19, 2015
Does this look like the beginning of angel wing in my black swedish drake? I'm going to wrap it, because I believe it is the start of angel wing. Am I doing something wrong though for him to develop this? My ducks free range and also have duck feed pellets. All the others seem fine.

Attachments

• 20230915_090344.jpg
    20230915_090344.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230915_090322.jpg
    20230915_090322.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230915_090338.jpg
    20230915_090338.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230915_090342.jpg
    20230915_090342.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230915_090347.jpg
    20230915_090347.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 6
yes looks like it and yes wrap it
about 'doing anything wrong' no there is a lot of discussion regarding that and varying opinions
some say it's genetic
some say they are eating too much protein
there's a thread about it on here =
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/angel-wing-treatment.1252014/

when one of my ducks had it I added a little rolled oats to their feed to lower the protein a bit
but why dont they all get it if its the protien? (i had several ducklings eat the same food and only one got it, so? maybe its genetics. At least its easy to fix by wrapping.

Yes that’s the start
Get it wrapped up and leave the wrap on for 3-4 days at a time
Make sure he can walk and breath properly so not to tight
Every 3-4 days you can take it off and let him bath and watch how he holds the wing
If it’s staying under you can leave the wrap off and watch for 24 hours
If you see it starting to come back then wrap again
If not then leave it off
My gosling only needed 4 days
My one duck from 2.5 years ago wouldn’t keep any wraps on
He got out of all of them and lived with one bad looking wing
Hopefully yours leaves it on
Only one of my ducks out of raising many has ever got it
None of his well over 50 offspring got it
But I did have him on starter feed to long and the vet said that was why
My gosling I kept on a proper protein and she still got it
But others where she came from had it to so maybe genetics there
One really will never know

I am wondering if there is a genetic component for Black Swedish because the same thing happened to my two Black Swedish ducklings this spring - first time I had that breed and the first time I ever had angel wing start to develop. I used either a very stretchy sock or nylon and put it over their bodies. Your duck looks bigger though and almost fully feathered, so you may need to do a larger vet wrap.

I am wondering if there is a genetic component for Black Swedish because the same thing happened to my two Black Swedish ducklings this spring - first time I had that breed and the first time I ever had angel wing start to develop. I used either a very stretchy sock or nylon and put it over their bodies. Your duck looks bigger though and almost fully feathered, so you may need to do a larger vet wrap.
Yes that’s the start
Get it wrapped up and leave the wrap on for 3-4 days at a time
Make sure he can walk and breath properly so not to tight
Every 3-4 days you can take it off and let him bath and watch how he holds the wing
If it’s staying under you can leave the wrap off and watch for 24 hours
If you see it starting to come back then wrap again
If not then leave it off
My gosling only needed 4 days
My one duck from 2.5 years ago wouldn’t keep any wraps on
He got out of all of them and lived with one bad looking wing
Hopefully yours leaves it on
Only one of my ducks out of raising many has ever got it
None of his well over 50 offspring got it
But I did have him on starter feed to long and the vet said that was why
My gosling I kept on a proper protein and she still got it
But others where she came from had it to so maybe genetics there
One really will never know
So I tried all night to wrap my poor duck. Poo was splattered everywhere! Lol. But after successfully wrapping his wing, he would have it out a few hours later. I tried wrapping it 3 times and leaving him in our closed in shower. A few hours later I would go check on him and his wing was out of the wrap again. So I may try the stretchy sock technique.

Yeah, I tried a couple wrap techniques I found online and couldn't get them to stay. After having success with the stretchy sock/hose and I also wonder if you could use like a 3 or 4 inch vet wrap and just wrap it around the entire body. Not sure.... I hope you can find something that works!

So I tried all night to wrap my poor duck. Poo was splattered everywhere! Lol. But after successfully wrapping his wing, he would have it out a few hours later. I tried wrapping it 3 times and leaving him in our closed in shower. A few hours later I would go check on him and his wing was out of the wrap again. So I may try the stretchy sock technique.
That’s how my khaki was
my gosling I took to my vet
She showed me how to do it and hers stayed on the 4 days
Luckily it was fixed in just 4 days
The sock wouldn’t have worked for her as she was to big

Yeah, I tried a couple wrap techniques I found online and couldn't get them to stay. After having success with the stretchy sock/hose and I also wonder if you could use like a 3 or 4 inch vet wrap and just wrap it around the entire body. Not sure.... I hope you can find something that works!
That’s what my vet used for my gosling

Back
Top Bottom