Angel Wing Question

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
If a young duck had AW and it was corrected, can they get it again after a wing molt as their new flight feathers are starting to grow back in?

Gimpy one of our two young Rouen/Pekin drakes who had AW, his flight feathers never did lay down perfectly after he was all feathered out. So now since all four drakes are in the process of molting and losing their flight feathers, do I need to be concerned with Gimpy having AW all over again?

I also found this link to be very informational if anyone is interested in learning more about the whole molting process with ducks.
https://morningchores.com/duck-molting/

If a young duck had AW and it was corrected, can they get it again after a wing molt as their new flight feathers are starting to grow back in?

Gimpy one of our two young Rouen/Pekin drakes who had AW, his flight feathers never did lay down perfectly after he was all feathered out. So now since all four drakes are in the process of molting and losing their flight feathers, do I need to be concerned with Gimpy having AW all over again?

I also found this link to be very informational if anyone is interested in learning more about the whole molting process with ducks.
https://morningchores.com/duck-molting/
My angel wing duck looks always looks like it's going to come back when she loses her flights but by the time they grow in and get some weight back to them they lay back down.

@shawluvsbirds Hello and thank your reply. This is my first time around with ducks and having to deal with AW issues. I guess I knew ducks molted, but I didn't know that included their flight feathers also. So after noticing a large amount of fight feather laying all over the yard, I figured I had better look into things further.

I also wasn't sure if the AW was going to return with the new growth of fight feathers?

@shawluvsbirds Hello and thank your reply. This is my first time around with ducks and having to deal with AW issues. I guess I knew ducks molted, but I didn't know that included their flight feathers also. So after noticing a large amount of fight feather laying all over the yard, I figured I had better look into things further.

I also wasn't sure if the AW was going to return with the new growth of fight feathers?
If you have fixed it previously it should not come back.
Like I said, it may look like it's going to for a few days but should lay back down once the feathers are fully grown back in.

Oh yeah.. duck molts are different than chickens. When they molt their flight feathers they just all kind of fall out at once. It was shocking to me too the first time I saw that happen. 😄

If you have fixed it previously it should not come back.
Like I said, it may look like it's going to for a few days but should lay back down once the feathers are fully grown back in.

Oh yeah.. duck molts are different than chickens. When they molt their flight feathers they just all kind of fall out at once. It was shocking to me too the first time I saw that happen. 😄
Great to know, Thank you. I too was shocked to see so many feathers and thought I had best investigate why. At first, I had thought one of the ducks might have exploded! :gig :lau

Back
Top Bottom