Angel wing?

Alexacfreeman

Chirping
Feb 12, 2021
547D30A1-1662-49E9-B0DB-2816E492C839.jpeg

This appeared out of nowhere he is 6 weeks old. Is this angel wing and how do I treat it? I haven’t fed him any bread only his food and a couple blueberries and some grass.

Can you post a couple of additional angles? Just from what you posted, I would err on the side of caution and wrap it. As the wing feathers grow in, they're heavy and can cause the wings to droop, resembling angel wing; from the photo, though, it looks to me like a classic angel wing presentation, with the wing twisting outward. I've had one Muscovy drake develop it in one wing, and with immediate treatment (wrapping) and a dietary change (taking him off waterfowl feed), it was completely corrected.

What kind of feed is the gosling on - protein and carb %? There's debate about the causes of angel wing, and the top theories seem to be feeding too high a level of protein or carbs, or genetics...or a combination. 🙂

It’s angel wing and you’ll need to wrap it, the sooner the better.

Here’s a video guide of how to wrap

Here’s a post of how to wrap https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ucks-how-we-wrap-to-mend-it-pictorial.644239/

From my own expierience I think angel wing is caused by a mix of diet and genetics, certain birds are predisposed to be more sensitive to nutrient loads, therefore more susceptible to angel wing. Of course there’s cases that are purely caused by poor nutrition, like Canada geese being fed dog food for example, but with my own, I had one female start developing it when all of her half siblings were fine, she was a lot smaller than the others because of her mom’s small genes, so she just couldn’t handle the protein content the others were eating.

It usually takes about 2 day’s, 3 or 4 at the most to correct at this age.

Also I forgot to say, I tried the method using tape, it didn’t work very well and my gosling ended up just ripping her feathers out to get it off, vet wrap works better.
X2...I used Vetrap and had to wrap it more tightly than I was initially comfortable with, but realized that the big Muscovy drake could wriggle out if the Vetrap was applied too loosely. The manufacturer's directions state as follows (excerpted):
"Apply 3M Vetrap Bandaging Tape at approximately 50% stretch. Applying too tightly may impair circulation. Apply last wrap with no tension; press firmly into place."

image.jpg
Can you post a couple of additional angles? Just from what you posted, I would err on the side of caution and wrap it. As the wing feathers grow in, they're heavy and can cause the wings to droop, resembling angel wing; from the photo, though, it looks to me like a classic angel wing presentation, with the wing twisting outward. I've had one Muscovy drake develop it in one wing, and with immediate treatment (wrapping) and a dietary change (taking him off waterfowl feed), it was completely corrected.

What kind of feed is the gosling on - protein and carb %? There's debate about the causes of angel wing, and the top theories seem to be feeding too high a level of protein or carbs, or genetics...or a combination. 🙂

FBB26C77-A31A-4F95-B9C7-1334131AAF50.jpeg

I can’t tell carb percentage but protein is 22%

After my angel wing experience, I began reducing the protein % to about 15-16% at three weeks old and never had a recurrence. I posted a couple of years ago in response to a question - thread here.

For other breeds of ducks (and goslings), I feed 21% protein fermented feed and have not seen angel wing again. With a potentially multifactorial problem, though, there may be no way to drill down to a single cause.

After my angel wing experience, I began reducing the protein % to about 15-16% at three weeks old and never had a recurrence. I posted a couple of years ago in response to a question - thread here.

For other breeds of ducks (and goslings), I feed 21% protein fermented feed and have not seen angel wing again. With a potentially multifactorial problem, though, there may be no way to drill down to a single cause.
1997691E-C56A-4209-9FEB-705600C86F98.jpeg

Would it be ok to give this mixed with the nutritional yeast I have. Will the other vitamins in the nutritional yeast hurt him? Just until the lower protein chick crumble gets here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom