Angel Wing...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by clbarley, Mar 16, 2012.

1. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    Has anyone on here had any problems with their ducks having angel wing?

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I just adopted a 5-6 month duck with severe angel wing. She seems to have no issues with it. Are you talking about very young ducklings that you hatched that have it or an adult duck?

3. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    I noticed it on one of my ducklings I think around the 4th week so followed the advice on BYC and it worked! In 1 week after using vet wrap the angel wing was gone and now he is fully grown with no issues. Search the internet there is a video showing you how to use the vet wrap - it worked. Only problem that I had was my duck was a little cuckoo crazy trying to get the vet wrap off. I went to the store and bought the leg wraps for horses cut one down to size and wrapped my duck around his wings and belly twice (not too tight - but tight enough he couldnt get out). Trust me he wasnt happy at all the 1st day - after that it was like a bonding ritual!
    Good luck!

4. GosfieldAcres

GosfieldAcres Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Canada
    Our Muscovy drake has an angel wing. We sent a bunch of ducks to the butcher and picked him out as the biggest to keep for breeding, and the angel wing wasn't apparent until later. We're stuck with him now, though, because the he is one of the kids favourite ducks as he is tame and they can actually pet him.

5. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Anyone know if angel wing does anything harmful to your ducks, other than the deformity of the wings? My duckies don't have anything like that yet - that I know of, but I like being super informed in case something does come up.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    From all i have read it doesn't seem to be anymore than a deformanity, but it can be avoided if you catch it when they are very young, and make sure they are getting the right amt. of nutrition. You will notice as your duckling start to get their blood feathers in their wings that they will let their wings droop down some which is normal, they are starting to get heavy and they will eventually be able to carry them properly. Be sure to give your ducklings Niacin in the form of tablets or brewers yeast unless your feeding duck starter. most chick feed doesn't have adequate amts for ducklings. Good other treats are chopped up Romaine lettuce and smashed peas.

7. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011

my one drake has angel wing .....does not bother him at all....May hurt his rank a little but I dont thinks its a problem other than visually.

8. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Is angel wing solely caused by too much protein?

On my bag of Purina Flock Raiser it says I can feed it up to 18 weeks but it has 20% protein.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    20% protein is perfect; you'll just want to check and be sure it has enough Niacin in it (more than likely it does not), per Miss Lydia, who really knows her stuff! [​IMG]

10. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Thank you very much! We have been doing the brewers yeast this past week since it was a huge hassle trying to break a 500mg niasin tablet into 5ths for the gallon water jugs. LOL. The girls do love their kale and peas, so I think we are good. Just curious and wanted to know what to look for. Thanks for the information on the blood feathers! Right now my ducks look like they just have fuzzy arms. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by