Angry bird

Working hard

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
I have 15 27-week old chickens. I purchased them as 2 day old females from a hatchery. One of these birds has completely flipped out over the last two weeks. She is an Ancona. Any person who enters the run she attacks. We have tried picking her up and carrying her around, which only infuriates her more. We have tried gently holding her down on the ground to show her we are in charge.

What else can I do? It’s at the point I dread going into the run.

Attachments

• 1B98B876-8CD0-4417-81ED-4CD5EB2C7F6D.jpeg
    1B98B876-8CD0-4417-81ED-4CD5EB2C7F6D.jpeg
    752.9 KB · Views: 8
Not every bird works out in every flock. Sometimes when people get chickens and raise them up, they seem to feel obligated to keep each bird. ALWAYS solve for peace in the flock. This is a case where one needs to solve for the majority, you included.

A bird that is not working out for whatever reason, can ruin the whole experience for you. Dramatically reduces the pleasure of the chickens for you. Let this bird go, sell it, give it away or have chicken and noodles.

Some birds can tolorate over crowding, and some birds cannot stand it at all. Often times what was more than enough space for chicks, is not enough space for full grown birds. Some birds will raise holy cain in one flock and get along just fine in another flock.

Here is a couple mistaken assumptions that people can have about chickens:
  • being raised together makes for life long friends and can compensate for over crowding. No it won't.
  • letting the birds out for a couple of hours will compensate for too small of coop - No it won't.
  • You can do something that will either cause birds to become aggressive - no, most of that is genetic and the chicken society they are raised in as in with adult birds or just flock-mates.
  • You can do something that will stop them from being aggressive - No unless, it means removing them from the flock.
Mrs K

Tha
Not every bird works out in every flock. Sometimes when people get chickens and raise them up, they seem to feel obligated to keep each bird. ALWAYS solve for peace in the flock. This is a case where one needs to solve for the majority, you included.

A bird that is not working out for whatever reason, can ruin the whole experience for you. Dramatically reduces the pleasure of the chickens for you. Let this bird go, sell it, give it away or have chicken and noodles.

Some birds can tolorate over crowding, and some birds cannot stand it at all. Often times what was more than enough space for chicks, is not enough space for full grown birds. Some birds will raise holy cain in one flock and get along just fine in another flock.

• being raised together makes for life long friends and can compensate for over crowding. No it won't.
  • letting the birds out for a couple of hours will compensate for too small of coop - No it won't.
  • You can do something that will either cause birds to become aggressive - no, most of that is genetic and the chicken society they are raised in as in with adult birds or just flock-mates.
  • You can do something that will stop them from being aggressive - No unless, it means removing them from the flock.
Mrs K
thank you so much for your response. I was fearful this would be the response, but in my gut I knew it was where we were headed. She’s miserable and I’m definitely miserable.

Thank you for taking the time to give such a thorough response. Much appreciated.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom