1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Angry bird!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sugarbelle, Sep 27, 2012.

1. sugarbelle

sugarbelle New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    My sweet chicken is turning mean! She just started laying yesterday, and made a big deal of out her egg today. Tonight she's not eating her favorite food and she's pecking at me and attacking the other hen. What's the deal? Is she going through hormonal mood swings? Is there any way to deter a chicken from being mean to another? They have to share a coop and I feel bad for the other one!

2. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Hi
    One of my hens experienced something similar when she got worms. She is slowly returning to her sassy but friendly self, but still ocassionaly bullies her flock mates. She is at the very top of the pecking order now. Maybe your hen is just feeling that her egg is not recieving enough attention, or she feels ready to establish the pecking order. If your other hen gets seriously hurt, seperate them if you can (I know you said they have to live together) and keep an eye on them when possible. Gradually over time when she gets used to it she will start going back to her old self

Hope this helped!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by