Angry Buff?

DuckMochi

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2017
Tempe, AZ
We have a Buff Orphington hen who used to be one of our nicest hens but about a month ago she started getting cranky. Puffing up when we get near her and striking at us if we put our hand by her. I looked into it and this is normal behavior for broody hens but... she isn't acting broody? Other than her crankiness. She doesn't stay in the nest box other than to lay her egg but they she leaves and continues to join the rest of the chickens outside. She's just become mean! It's sad because she was such a nice hen. Is there a reason for this? Or maybe a way to stop it?

I have plenty of hens that will peck me in the nestbox. I also have hens that will act somewhat broody but aren't. They can be moody.

She still sounds semi-broody. I've had them walking and talking like a broody but they continue to lay and go about their business. It could be that she's also in the beginning of going broody. Is she younger?

Could be pre-broody.
Do you have a male in your flock?
If not, she could be playing the role of 'flock protector'.

@aart~ No, no rooster. It's illegal to have them in our city so we just have 5 hens and our duck who is also a female

Back
Top Bottom