Angry Hen

maryg930

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2019
Hey y’all! I recently adopted a beautiful hen, owner said she was too dominant and never got along in the flock. I’ve had her a few weeks now and I love her!

As of yesterday I’ve had to take in a 4 month silkie. I hatched this one and the person who took it can’t have it any longer. I put the baby in the coop last night and woke up to her (or him, can’t tell yet) in the corner bleeding. Not too bad, but a nice chunk of feathers ripped out. I’m aware this probably wasn’t the best introduction!!! Poor baby.

So now I have the baby in the coop, and the angry hen free ranging. Should I keep trying this? What should I do at night when they sleep? I want this to work!!!

You are in a hard spot. Some chickens, hens as well as roosters, are brutes. You were warned even if you didn't realize it. If you haven't named her yet you might want to consider calling her Attila the Hen. Do you know what breed she is? Is she full sized or bantam? Do you know how old she is, I'd assume pretty mature.

To compound the problem, mature hens outrank immature pullets in the pecking order and are often pretty insistent on reinforcing those pecking order rights. This is a normal hen, not an overly-aggressive one like yours. It is possible when your Silkie matures enough to start laying they will be able to coexist, even if the Silkie is a bantam. Until then I'd keep them apart day and night.

House them where they can see each other but cannot harm each other. You can try it after a week but I'd wait longer, until that Silkie is laying. During the day when you can be around to observe, let them roam together. Base where you go from there on what you see. It's possible her being in a new situation will stop her from being so aggressive. You never know, it might work. But also be prepared to forever keep them apart.

Good luck!

You are in a hard spot. Some chickens, hens as well as roosters, are brutes. You were warned even if you didn't realize it. If you haven't named her yet you might want to consider calling her Attila the Hen. Do you know what breed she is? Is she full sized or bantam? Do you know how old she is, I'd assume pretty mature.

To compound the problem, mature hens outrank immature pullets in the pecking order and are often pretty insistent on reinforcing those pecking order rights. This is a normal hen, not an overly-aggressive one like yours. It is possible when your Silkie matures enough to start laying they will be able to coexist, even if the Silkie is a bantam. Until then I'd keep them apart day and night.

House them where they can see each other but cannot harm each other. You can try it after a week but I'd wait longer, until that Silkie is laying. During the day when you can be around to observe, let them roam together. Base where you go from there on what you see. It's possible her being in a new situation will stop her from being so aggressive. You never know, it might work. But also be prepared to forever keep them apart.

Good luck!

Thank you for you knowledge and kind words!

Hi Mary I’ve had bully problems in the coop with my geese and ducks as well as the chickens and turkeys. I would agree and alwayssss seperate at first. Our newest mallard willie who my boy goose Lucifer got along with was still kept in a large dog crate in the coop at night time just in case for about 2 months just to be extra sure. And chickens are way more brutal.
We built a large gate to seperate the duck coop but I think the crate works great if it’s just going to be temporary. We just put lots of hay in so he would be comfy every so often one of the girls would sneak in with him and we’d close them in together ❤️.
Ridge runner gave perfect advice totally agree w everything said!

Back
Top Bottom