Angry Vulture Living In Our Garage. How to get him out?

Pics
I have had 2Vultures and their baby in my yard nearly all summer. I am thrilled whenever I see one or all 3. They may have a nest close by. Vultures are known for regurgitating their last meal (you don’t want to
know what that might have been). That is to scare you away. In Iowa, Vultures are the first birds I see in the Spring.

I see them twice a week in our yard/park. We get wild turkeys ducks deer,cyote.
Thank you for looking out for wildlife! Near our house in Inman, SC I've seen wild turkeys, Canada geese, vultures, hawks (when I see them nearby, our chickens go in the coop!) owls, deer, groundhogs, opossums, and raccoons. I know we have coyotes, but haven't seen any close by. BackYard Chickens told me how to critter-proof our coop so I know our girls are safe and can just enjoy having nature so near. Oh--I forgot to mention our colony of bats! There are about 70 in our attic, so we rarely see a mosquito--pretty awesome in our humid southeast! Our plan is to put up bat boxes so after the bats have moved out this year we can have the attic cleaned and exclude them, since the droppings can cause issues. Hopefully when the bats return in the spring they will use the boxes. :) I stopped at a nearby church parking lot one day, seeing a large bird flopping around and thinking it needed help. I was surprised and relieved to find it was a wild turkey--taking a dust bath! Pretty cool!

They don't live, breed, nest or otherwise live in garages. Not at all normal. They do, on the other hand, have an incredible sense of smell. What is in the garage that it might be looking for to eat? Do you smell anything at all that smells like something dead? Rotting, dead animal smell? Garbage?
Actually, they will roost anywhere they see as safe if they have to roost and can't get to their normal area. There is an old house on my farm that is missing a wall due to a tree falling and knocking the wall off, there are now several Turkey Vultures living in that house up in the rafters.

We also often had them on our roof, my playset, and our porch at night when I was growing up because the idiot neighbors would run them out of the trees they were roosting in right at dusk and they couldn't get their heavy butts back up in the air so they landed anywhere that seemed safe including our roof and porch railings.

Especially if it is cool or rainy they have a VERY hard time getting any lift so they get grounded or have to roost somewhere low to the ground until it warms and they can get some thermals under them again.

Back
Top Bottom