Animal scat identification

Sclark0012

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
I went out this morning to let my girls out and found this scat by the coop. I live in Central Indiana. Can anyone help identify? They might even be from different critters. There is chicken poop for scale on size. Thanks!
20231221_120813.jpg
20231221_120815.jpg

I would probably say coyote, it could be fox but my final determination would be considering how well lit & open the area is. Normally if a coyote comes out in the open it almost never stops & is usually moving fast. A fox however will be more comfortable in an open area.
Even at night, a coyote prefers staying in tall grass or brush for cover.

It looks to small for coyote or coon compared to the chicken poop. And looks like 2 different animals, 1st pic looks like cat or mink due to the hair in it and the 2nd looks like small possum or large rat due to it looking like it has grain in it.
I appreciate the reply. Its definitely too small to be a coyote. It was no more than 2 or 2 and a half inches long or so. That was for both of them. My chickens are free ranged at the moment. I had a mink wipe out my flock a year and a half ago due to the coop (was an old shed of some kind. We moved in a year prior, so that building was already there being used as a coop. We tore it down as it was not secure enough and had an amish built coop brought in). Hoping i can keep my ladies and roo safe until we can build a secure run.

I appreciate the reply. Its definitely too small to be a coyote. It was no more than 2 or 2 and a half inches long or so. That was for both of them. My chickens are free ranged at the moment. I had a mink wipe out my flock a year and a half ago due to the coop (was an old shed of some kind. We moved in a year prior, so that building was already there being used as a coop. We tore it down as it was not secure enough and had an amish built coop brought in). Hoping i can keep my ladies and roo safe until we can build a secure run.
They are locked up at night?

Back
Top Bottom