Annoyed and Threating neighbor

So he will be ignored anyway. In which case if its really bothering you (like he's coming over to your house or something) I would fight fire with fire and report him for trespassing. But I still don't see what good if will do. Does he seem dangerous or just obnoxious?
Possibly both, my dog died last week suddenly of unknown causes, someone brought up poison, but I didnt have the vet check for that.

For now I am going to put a camera ON my side of the house facing the joining fence (not pointing over the fence) that will turn on from movement. This camera will not be able to see anything in his yard.

Also this is my coop and run, have some veggies growing up the fencing for mild protection of the heat.

And yeah he comes onto my property all the time to "talk" to me about how displeased he is.

1653699347872.png

Someone or something left a chunk of rat poison in my front yard last spring and my dog got a hold of it. She's fine but for a long time I was very suspicious of my neighbors even though I get along with my nearest ones I don't know everyone. So I can definitely see why you would be concerned. Cameras are a good idea. Expect the worst and hope for the best. I'm sorry you are in this situation. I feel blessed every day that my neighbors (I share fences with four other properties) are good with my chickens. Your coop is beautiful by the way! If anyone shows up to investigate his claims you will definitely come out with shining colors lol

Honestly, it's what I am thinking. And maybe get a rooster just to piss him off some more.
Do not do this. If your relationship with your neighbor is less-than-desirable -- regardless of whose fault it is -- then the last thing that you want to do is make the issue worse.
Hens don't make very much noise aside from the egg song, but roosters and and will crow any time of the day or night. If your rooster crows at night, then your neighbor could well complain that it is interrupting his sleep, and would have a very valid reason to complain about noise from your birds.
You're already in an undesirable situation -- don't inflame the issue and make it worse. It is a bad idea, and spending money on a loud bird for the sole purpose of annoying someone is a frankly very petty thing to do.

I would just tell him that you do not plan on getting rid of your birds anytime soon, so please just get used to the noise. Perhaps offer him some eggs as a sign of wanting to make peace, or as a "bribe" so that he'll be getting something out of the situation -- it's placated neighbors before, I'm sure, because plenty of people recommend this course of action.

Good luck.

Do not do this. If your relationship with your neighbor is less-than-desirable -- regardless of whose fault it is -- then the last thing that you want to do is make the issue worse.
Hens don't make very much noise aside from the egg song, but roosters and and will crow any time of the day or night. If your rooster crows at night, then your neighbor could well complain that it is interrupting his sleep, and would have a very valid reason to complain about noise from your birds.
You're already in an undesirable situation -- don't inflame the issue and make it worse. It is a bad idea, and spending money on a loud bird for the sole purpose of annoying someone is a frankly very petty thing to do.

I would just tell him that you do not plan on getting rid of your birds anytime soon, so please just get used to the noise. Perhaps offer him some eggs as a sign of wanting to make peace, or as a "bribe" so that he'll be getting something out of the situation -- it's placated neighbors before, I'm sure, because plenty of people recommend this course of action.

Good luck.
:goodpost:

As far as him trespassing, just put up "No Trespassing" signs. And if he continues to trespass, then maybe file a complaint. Other than that, I'd leave him alone. If things do get bad, bring the printed ordinance, and proof that you're sticking to it. Be polite and kind, and it'll get you further.

Good luck.
I wouldn’t truly get a rooster for that purpose. Just annoyed and venting. Very good advice. I actually printed out the ordinance today and laminated it.

Going to call the city Tuesday and confirm I’m following the proper ordinances and there is truly nothing I am doing wrong.

If there is. I will fix it immediately.

Thanks all. ❤️

He is probably jealous of the chicken setup you have, and unhappy in his marriage. He might hear a lot of nagging from his wife about the noise, and in return he gets angry at you. Is he married and do you know his wife?

Unfortunately you cant do anything except wait for the hens to quiet down, but 9 hens is a lot it may take a while.

Hens dont fight, only two make noise ever, thats the egg song.

100% this dude hates his life. His son and daughter (with her new baby) are living at home (both 35+) and his wife is extremely two faces and angry at life.

Just going to triple check my ducks are in a row and ignore the dude.

Hens dont fight, only two make noise ever, thats the egg song.

100% this dude hates his life. His son and daughter (with her new baby) are living at home (both 35+) and his wife is extremely two faces and angry at life.

Just going to triple check my ducks are in a row and ignore the dude.
Yes i am familiar with the egg songs, it comes and goes with their nesting periods. But if only 2 are doing it, then it should go away very quickly. Mine only sing for a couple days, today they were particularly loud, but its always different hens as they all seem to eventually sing. Its very seasonal, not every day.

They are just jealous, not sure what you can do. But verifying you are 100% legal will make you feel safer.

Maybe talk to him and encourage him to build his own coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom