Another bewbie question.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bsisler, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Bsisler

Bsisler New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Hello all, I'm new to BYC. I am designing my first chicken coop and run.. This may or may not be a stupid question. As far as egg laying is there such a thing as to much space? Im planning on having 6-8 hens in a 8x4 coop and a 10x10 run. Is this suitable or should I go bigger or smaller with either one?? Also does anyone have any suggestions on what feed/health products to use?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

They both sound nice to me! I always like to make a slightly larger run then is asked for, but that's just my preference. the coop sounds plenty large. I think you are good to go! as for feed, I just get what my local feed store sells, I've heard good stuff about layena though.

3. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    I think your right about where you should be perfect size for that amount of birds you could house 10 birds in that size area just fine..
    i know there people that will tell you a recommended spuare footage per bird but im sure you will be fine.

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    12' x 12" space is widely used as an egg laying space if that is what you are asking. You can make them 12-16" high. This size space gives them privacy and a perfect size cozy nest. The bigger the better with the coop size. You can always section the interior as needed.

[​IMG]

5. Bsisler

Bsisler New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks so much for the feed back... I think ill keep the 8x4 coop and do 2 nesting areas built out from the 4' sides making the total 8'x6' and put 3 nesting areas in each "build out" for a total of 6 nesting box's. Thanks so much guys and gals!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by