Another broody hen question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens, Mar 30, 2008.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    What exactly causes a hen to go broody? Is there anything I can do to encourage a hen to go broody (I know you can't force them to go broody, but maybe I can help her out a little...)? My flock consists of Buff Orps (people say they are good broodies, but in my experience they rarely ever go broody), a Black Australorp, and a Partridge Rock with various roosters (no doubt the eggs are fertile!)

2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

usually it just depends on the bird, ive tryed putting 3 or so golf balls in the nest boxes and that usually gives them the right idea, but then again some of them dont have a clue... so it usually just depends on the bird. hope that helps a little:)

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Put a nest egg ie: a golf ball or two; or wooden eggs in the laying box or nest box. That's what finally did the trick with my little broody bantam. It took several weeks. I was collecting her eggs and replaced them with golf balls, wooden eggs, and even plastic Easter eggs. Once she was broody, I moved her nest with her in it to an isolation pen so she wouldn't be disturbed. At night, I slipped 5 of her fertile eggs under her and removed the fake eggs. I removed two eggs last week that weren't right after candling, and the three remaining eggs should hatch April 4th. I'm so excited! Best wishes for a broody! Here's the link with the broody information I studied:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

Enjoy! [​IMG]

4. greenthing

greenthing New Egg

Mar 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    My Black Australorp is the only one of my 7 hens to go broody. I have 2 RIR, 2 Buff Orps, and 2 easter egg hens along with her. I haven't had much luck with the eggs hatching, this is her first time to go broody. She has been really good though and sticks tight to her nest. Good luck and I hope you get one of your hens to go broody.

5. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Yes you can make a hen go broody. Put her in a small pen or cage and keep it dark, let her out 2 times aday to eat and drink, keep her in there and make sure its dark and with in 2 or 3 or 4 days she will go broody. Put some fake eggs under her while she is in there also. It works, Ive done it before...........ed

6. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Quote:Really? What breeds have you tried this with? Would I be better off to try this with a Buff Orp hen, a Black Australorp hen, or a Partridge Rock hen? Most of them are about 10 months old, the Black A hen is a little over a year...

7. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, I have boiled some eggs since we have had a major overload of eggs, I am going to mark them and leave them in the nest and gather the fresh ones, maybe having eggs in the nest will spark a broody gene somewhere... LOL
    Thanks for the link Airmom! It looks very interesting, I'm just about to read it.

8. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    *Sorry- Double Post*

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  9. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Ive used it on some bantys and a cuckoo Marans. I use old hand blown glass eggs or ceramic eggs. I would try the older hen/s 1st. ............ed

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  10. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Surely it couldn't have happened this fast, but I am pretty sure that I have broody Buff Orp hen!!! I hadn't tried your suggestion yet, Ed, but I did put boiled eggs in the nest. This hen had been making the noises that disturbed/anxious chickens make, especially broody hens with chicks. But she hadn't been staying on the nest, so I just assumed that it was a rooster, dog, or even me that was making her a little nervous. But it may be that I was just gathering the eggs to quickly, and she was just waiting for something to set on. Now she is sitting tight in the nest and has been for about 2 hr., and any time I get close to the nest she puffs up her feathers and squawks at me really loud. I am so excited, I really hope that she is broody. If she is still on the nest tonight, I am going to isolate her and her nest and give her a few eggs! Woohoo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by