Another Broody...this time, it's Glenda (again) Update: make that TWO

Looks like you got your wish speckledhen!
big_smile.png
But I guess it IS that time of year considering my same two silkie hens that brooded this spring are going at it again
barnie.gif

Have you thought about a co-parenting situation?

Last edited:
Lee, I'm still floored about Scarlett going broody. That means it's not out of the question for any of my three Big Red Girls to go broody, since they are probably related to Scarlett in some way.

As far as co-parenting, I don't know if Tux and Glenda would get along in their current state of mind and I really don't think I have room for both of them in the same pen, not with all the chicks, if they manage to hatch.

We gave in. Tux was still clucking up a storm today. DH gave her a BBS Orp egg from under Glenda, who now has seven EEs under her. They're going into Day 5 tonight. I'll do the usual one-time- only "broody candling" in five more days or so.

Update. Tux is still broody, but sitting on nothing. She wouldnt move to the broody pen with the egg we gave her so had to put it back under Glenda. Candled Glenda's eggs this afternoon since we will go into Day 10 tonight. Two of the Barred EEs were not fertile or just did not develop. There are five remaining EEs and the one BBS Orp egg is developing just fine. Now, I just wish Tux would snap out of it! She gets off the nest twice a day by herself, then gets back on.

I know how it feels to have broodies Cyn! My splash silkie has one chick and my partridge silkie has 7 chicks and a silkie x rosecomb has 2 chicks. My buff orp girl, Honey, is sitting on 8-9 eggs. I have another splash silkie sitting on 5 cochin/silkie eggs, and a blue pullet setting on 5 silkie eggs.
th.gif

It gets crazy when you have too many, I bet! I can only handle two at a time and now my BR/Ameraucana girl, Panda, is thinking about being a mom. She's not there yet, but she sure is starting the clucky and cranky stage!

Back
Top Bottom