Another Bumble Foot Question

Very pleased with what I saw of the BF when I unwrapped to do a soaking. The "lump" has shrank, getting better. Picture (#2) was taken after a 15 minute soak, applied Prid and wrapped it up again. Hopefully after another soak, I will be able stop the Prid and wrap.

Attachments

• 0704 Marron BF.jpg
    0704 Marron BF.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 0708 Maroon BF.jpg
    0708 Maroon BF.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 10
Not wrapping anymore, she got smart removing the tape then the wrap. Looks great and I'm pleased but will keep a close eye on her. Keeping a thicker layer of shavings in their CH and hopefully solves this issue. Thanks all for your Moral Support :love

Attachments

• 0709 Marron BF.jpg
    0709 Marron BF.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 7
Something that is a really great option for non-surgical bumble removal is salicylic wart pads. You stick the appropriate sized pad over the bumble, cut the cover plaster to size and stick on, then wrap as usual. You can do the epsom soaks as well with this method. The salicylic acid softens the skin until whatever nasty business is under there will lift out. Then you can use Vetericyn/sugardine and gauze to protect the wound and it should heal. Takes time but bumble always takes time. I’ve had a lot of success with this method (along with drawing salve like magnoplasm for more complex bumblefoot) and learned it here on BYC.
What will the bumble spot look like when you remove the pad in couple days? Im trying this salicylic acid approach today with my hen. She has it on both feet. I’ve never seen this recommendation before.

@KitKat187 I would recommend checking/replacing the pads each evening depending on how active your hen is and if the weather is very wet. The cover plaster helps a lot but sometimes the pads can slide around and end up in the wrong spot. Changing the dressing each evening is good because you can do an epsom salt soak at the same time and make sure the area stays clean.

The skin will lighten and soften as the salicylic acid takes effect, much the same as when we treat ourselves. Sometimes it can take several days/a week to soften enough for the bumble to lift out.

Back
Top Bottom