Another bumblefoot question

It feels soft and warm. Still swollen but the hardness is gone. She isn't limping too badly today. Should I start her on antibiotics at all?

Not for now... But you do need to soak her foot daily in warm epsom salts for a few days and reapply neosporin and new bandages. Then just clean, put Neosporin on, and rebandage every day for a few days, then every other day until you see that it's healed enough to leave open. If the infection persists, you'll want to reevaluate giving antibiotics -preferably penicillin IM in the breast for 4 days.

Thanks! Should I need to use antibiotics, can I use amoxicillin? I have the powdered form that I can put in water. Will this stuff work if I need it?

THAT I can't answer... I know that amoxicillin is one of the antibiotics sometimes given for staph infections in dogs. If no one pops up with an answer here shortly, you might post the question as a new posting.

My neighbors hen has a really big case of BF, with two large bulges on top of the foot. The scab was about the size of a dime but elongated. I was able to remove the scab, but then she began bleeding SO much that her comb turned bluish. In all of the vidoes, I NEVER saw a hen bleed like that. I basically focused on stopping the bleeding and bandaged her up.... I clean every day, and soak in E.Salts then vet spray/Batadyne and neosporin..... but I havent removed the stuff that caused it in the first place. When I rebandage, I have gotten some really sticky puss out.... Another issue bothering me is her abdomen is really swollen and purplish. She is on antibiotics.... I am afraid to reopen the wound now..... any advice?

Last edited:
I would be inclined to reopen it, but with some quickstop on hand. Now that you have gotten this far I feel like the blood wouldn't be so ready to spurt and the infection would also be closer to the top where you can get the kernel out. Some people reccomend soaking for a few weeks prior for that reason. Also, I remember reading that baking powder is a fine alternative to quickstop, but double check that before you go ahead. Let us know how it goes :)

Back
Top Bottom