another chicken newbie

Nancyfau

Chirping
Oct 4, 2014
Hi Y'all, I just joined yesterday. Currently, we have 8 chickens - 2 White Leghorns, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Ameraucana, 2 New Hampshire Reds, & 2 Black Australorps. It has been fun watching them grow & begin to lay eggs. The 2 WL & RIR have started laying. The Ameraucana has not. The 2 NHR & BAs are about a month younger. Looking forward to learning all I can to take good care of them. On that note, 1 of the Leghorns has been limping for a week now. It is her left leg & she puts no weight . She does like to fly up on the top of the coop. I was able to put her on her back in my lap & examine both legs. At the time, I could not find any differences. She does not have any sores on the bottom of her feet so I ruled out Bumblefoot. I took her out & confined her, but she has not gotten any better. She eats & drinks fine. Today, I reexamined her & noticed that there is a little swelling in the elbow(?) joint. She did hop up on the edge of the box I have her in, but again, she puts no weight on the left leg. I thought about taking her back out to the coop/run to be with her pals, but not sure I should. I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet? I appreciate any feedback.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! It sure is fun to watch them grow!

Sorry about your bird but glad she is doing better! You shouldn't have to take her into the vet. Does she have a sore on her "elbow" joint? You may want to ask more here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Best of luck and welcome to the flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry to hear about your WL with the injury. I'm sure you'll find good advice here! Your flock must look similar to mine, I decided to try a different variety of breeds along with the WL and Golden Comets I had before. I have 4 WL, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Golden Comet, 1 Black Australorp, 3 Easter Eggers and 2 Ancona's. I don't really have a good set up to keep chicks and grown hens so I usually sell my flock every 2 years and start new chicks. I'm still waiting for eggs from these girls, they just turned 16 weeks so we're getting close :)

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen! I'd definitely post in the Emergencies section.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry your hen is having problems with her left leg. Definitely post in our Emergency section. I hope she recovers. You have some good layers. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to backyard chickens. Maybe your hen came down to hard from the roost and injured something. I hope she will be doing better soon

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like she could have gotten a sprain. I would confine her for a week or so in a small cage with food and water close by. If she sprained or strained something, with time off her feet, she should heal up just fine. If she is allowed to jump and fly of high things with a sprain, she could tear a tendon or something. So I would try some confinement for a week and see if she improves.

Good luck and I hope she makes a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom